Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

2008 CTS with Steering Wheel shake

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Default 2008 CTS with Steering Wheel shake

I picked up my2008 CTS with Performance package and 18" wheels last Thursday, it had 172 miles on it. This is the car I test drove during the buying purchase. I am experiencing a steering wheel shake/shimmy on the freeway around 60 about half the time I drive the car. I take the car to the dealership, car has 452 miles. They confirm that GM is having a problem and they are going to re-index the tires, which means that they break down the tire and rotate the tire, remount and rebalance. I get the car back with 531 miles on it.

The car still has the problem. After discussing with my service advisor, who then spoke with the shop foreman and service manager, their conclusion is that it is the characteristics of the car. They are telling me that the first 10 miles or so the "soft" performance tires need to "heat" up. They also think that the problem will correct itself in 2000 miles after the suspension breaks in.

I have owned 1 3 series, and 2 G35s, all with the sports packages. I have never had a problem with their tires. Did GM drop the ball on the Michelins that they put on the 18" package?

What do you think?

Scott

PS. My car also had a front speaker that need to be replaced and a A piler trim piece that had to be replaced. GM is not off to a great start.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:13 PM
Default RE: 2008 CTS with Steering Wheel shake

I test drove a 2008 CTS and it had the steering wheel shake at 60 MPH. The salesman tolds me the front wheels needed to be rebalanced. I just received my 2008 CTS that I ordered and so far it does not have the steering wheels shake.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:56 PM

niki08,

Did the car you test drive have the 18" tires? How about the one your ordered? Also when did your are get built?

Thanks,

Scott

Old 03-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Tech Certified Members

Cadillac is aware and working on fix. Patience is required, notify Cad Customer Assistance let them know of concern, and request notification when fix is available.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:44 AM

The CTS I test drove had 17" wheels. My CTS I just received also has 17" wheels. My CTS was built on Feb. 8th.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:14 PM

slowroll,

Thanks for replying. I did fill out the form for Caddy Cust Assist. Do you have any Bulletin number I can refer to when you say Cadillac is aware, so I can pass it on to my Dealer?

Thanks,

Scott

PS. It is hard to be patience, when your 44k+ car drives like this. [:@]

Old 03-08-2008, 04:17 PM

niki08,

Thanks for the additional info. From what I am hearing, it is primarily a problem on the 18", even though you saw it on the test drive car. Hopefully they will get a fix.

Scott

Old 03-29-2008, 12:33 AM

I have been dealing with this since I got the car as well. First dealer trying to tell me im nuts, then the whole bs story about sitting overnight, etc.

Second dealer noticed it and changed out frontrims and tires. seemed to work for a day but nowdoes it. They called technical at Cadillac and they said that there was another CTS with the same problem and they are switching out the steering rack.

Rack on order and gets put in on Wed. Will let you know because i know EXACTLY what you are going thru. I am glad i had another Cadillac dealership that was pro active instead of the one giving me some bs about soft tires.

Tell them that BMW's tires dont flat spot from sitting overnight and neither does KIA! Nice car but WORTHLESS SERVICE PEOPLE. I like when they try to give me a chevy to drive when my Cadillac is in the shop. I asked them if they thought Lexus gives out Toyota's? American car makers dont get it, Period.

when lease runs out I am moving on to BMW. I was this close to getting one when i changed my mind last minute and got the CTS because I got the Family First discount. Next time forget it, BMW here I come. Nice car but stupid service people ruin it. I expected small problems but dont make me feel stupid when i point them out and give me some bs about soft tires. really?

Chris

Old 03-29-2008, 01:56 PM

Oh great... NOW I read this thread...

Old 03-29-2008, 02:33 PM

Did you have this problem and get it fixed?

Quick Reply: 2008 CTS with Steering Wheel shake