Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

04 cts cd player says initializing disc

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 12:23 AM
Default 04 cts cd player says initializing disc

my 04 cts 3.6 cd player says initializing disc and doesnt play is this common?is it fixable?dealer time?its the 6 disc in dash changer.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 04 cts cd player says initializing disc

23window........1st welcome to the Forum!!!! 2nd, could there be a disc stuck in the player that you don't know about? or possibly, you have a disc in that the player is unable to read...... that sounds more like it.
let the Forum know how you make out, and again welcome.......... also check out other parts of the Forum..... its a great time here, super bunch of people and knowledge........have you been to Member Introduction? you should really start there.... so we know of you...... good luck, and inasking for help, give as much info as poss, so the Forum can give to you the right info in return. also check FAQ section forworking with the Forum...
rickyd.........

Old 10-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Tech Certified Members

It's not uncommon, and most likely will require exchange radio. Part number of old radio is normally required to order,and it will have to be programmed by dealer to work. Discs will be returned if requested in 6 to 10 weeks.Hope it helps

Old 10-16-2007, 12:43 PM

For what it's worth...

I had a similar situation - except mine finally registered a CD MECH ERROR. I found that there was a disc put in upside down in one slot and two others jammed in another.

I took the unit from the dash and removed the CD mechanism from the unit. I then 'CAREFULLY' removed the discs from their place in the unit and reassembled. Unit plays CDs just fine now.

I would try ejecting all the locations 1-6 and inserting different discs. More than likely it is a disc problem instead of the unit.

I have priced units - cheapest I have seen is $250.00. Dealer would like ~$500 or so for the unit swap.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:46 AM

This is EXACTLY what is happening to our cd player!!!! What do I do about it? I am not mechanically inclined to take it apart myself. And I miss my cd's We have the 6 cd changer and it says Mech error...

Old 12-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Tech Certified Members

jonnysgirl... i'm not sure if this will work for your changer, but i think its worth a try.... if i disconnect my negitive battery cable for 10 min. then connect it,it resets my disc changer.... it might work for yours!..... oh hey, welcome to the Forum. haven't seen you 'round....another lady, GREAT! jump in and have some fun, get counted in Cadillac demographics-how old are we,. also go to member introduction, and introduce yourself...... happy holidays!
rickyd

Old 12-27-2007, 12:39 PM

Hmmm... not the most scientific method; but one day after getting frustrated with the player I took some time and 'reasoned' with my radio. I pushed buttons (load and eject). Interestingly enough I found that in my case, after I pushed eject 5 times quickly the error message appeared on my screen "CD Mech Error". That's when I took the unit out to 'figure it out'. All the time I could hear the mechanism trying to cycle and eject the disc. That let me know it 'knew' what to do; just couldn't do it. I had already ordered a replacement unit and figured if I broke it the 'part was on the way'.

To be honest, it is not something I would suggest taking onif you are not mechanically inclined. You have to remove parts of your center dash and then completely remove the ENTIRE radio unit from the dash. Then you have to disassemble the unit just to get to the CD mechanism; which you will have to take apart as well. There is a nice take apart on the web for 'replacment radios'. I found the link on this site somewhere and it worked just like described (but only tells you how to get the unit out of the dash).Took me about 45min to get discs out. But on the other hand the sense of accomplishment was immense. My whole family sat in the car for about an hour swapping and listening to our CDs. [8D]

Old 02-25-2019, 08:21 AM
Default Initializing CD 2004 cts cadillac

Saludos mi vehículo marca en la pantalla del radio initia