Hmmm... not the most scientific method; but one day after getting frustrated with the player I took some time and 'reasoned' with my radio. I pushed buttons (load and eject). Interestingly enough I found that in my case, after I pushed eject 5 times quickly the error message appeared on my screen "CD Mech Error". That's when I took the unit out to 'figure it out'. All the time I could hear the mechanism trying to cycle and eject the disc. That let me know it 'knew' what to do; just couldn't do it. I had already ordered a replacement unit and figured if I broke it the 'part was on the way'.
To be honest, it is not something I would suggest taking onif you are not mechanically inclined. You have to remove parts of your center dash and then completely remove the ENTIRE radio unit from the dash. Then you have to disassemble the unit just to get to the CD mechanism; which you will have to take apart as well. There is a nice take apart on the web for 'replacment radios'. I found the link on this site somewhere and it worked just like described (but only tells you how to get the unit out of the dash)
.Took me about 45min to get discs out. But on the other hand the sense of accomplishment was immense. My whole family sat in the car for about an hour swapping and listening to our CDs. [8D]