LS1 Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Default LS1 Swap?

Anybody do a LS1 swap into a older Caddy? I'm thinking about ditching the 472 in my 70 Coupe deVille for a LS engine, not sure which one, but it will be computer controlled & fuel injected with a 4L60E or 4L80E. I'll just pick up an engine cover out of a CTS so I can have a Cadillac engine cover. I'm also thinking about building a Ford 9" so I can change my gear ratio & have a rear end that I can actually find parts for. I'm already gonna raise the transmission & drive shaft tunnel so the higher pinion won't be an issue for me.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

I have not seen an LS engine in a real Cadillac yet but I like the idea. You get tons of power and torque with an up to date reliable engine. Going with the Ford 9" would give you a lot of options and strength as well so you could build the LS as stout as you wanted. Pretty much ever builder these days is going with the LS engine, you see them in 32 Fords, resto mod Camaros, Chevelles and even early 50's cars.

I have been thinking about hot rodding my old Fleetwood by getting a GM performance crate engine like the Ram Jet For me it would be a straight bolt in since the 93 Fleetwood is factory powered by a L05 small block now.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:30 PM

i have a 63 coupe that i put a ls1 in allmost done with the swap not to hard just lots of small details and nothing out there to help just drop one in an old school cadillac

Old 08-23-2012, 02:29 AM

Do you have any pics of your engine swap ls1.63? I know the 65 - 70 frames are different than the 63, looks like I will have a few bugs to work out with the oil pan. I already planned on making my own motor & transmission mounts because I've gotta get the engine & transmission above the bottom of the frame, I'm bagging the car to lay flat out on the ground. I have acquired a 4L80E that I'm gonna rebuild, I'd like to find a cast iron 6.0L out of a truck (just in case I decide I can't live without a blower later on) to go in front of it. I'm not looking forward to the amount of cutting & fabrication needed to make room for that big 'ol 4L80 & how much more I gotta raise the drive shaft tunnel because the Ford pinion is higher than the Cadillac pinion. I've got a late 70 - early 80s Ford 9" out of a truck, looks like I'll have to do some work on getting the pinion offset correct. The width is good, but the pinion is offset on the truck 9" & the Cadillac pinion is centered. I'm gonna cut the axle housing ends of both sides so I can swap them to center the pinion, but first gotta figure out how much to cut off each side first. I have the tools to narrow rear ends, so this won't be a big deal for me. Just center the pinion then order new axle shafts & bearings.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:18 AM
Default ls1 swap in 63 cadillac

the engine is in and headers, radiator,r fan, intake, and half the fuel system are done i would say im about 75% done with the swap and getting close firing it up the car is all so bagged and yes there is alot of cutting and building of custom and one off parts not sure on a 65 but the steering box is between the engine crossmember and firwall and leaves a small space were the header has to exit and no one makes anything close to it off the shelf so has to be custom made as well as motor mounts and a new trans mount pluss running all the fuel lines and making the fuel tank work for the fuel injection

Last edited by ls1.63; 09-05-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:22 AM

working on geting some pics up sizing problems

Attached Thumbnails LS1 Swap?-043.jpg  
Old 09-05-2012, 01:36 AM

shes not much to look at yet but straight and 100% original down to the 63 plates. well it was

Attached Thumbnails LS1 Swap?-047.jpg  

Last edited by ls1.63; 09-05-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

That is looking relly nice, I love the way you have routed the cold air intake. Headers look very nice as well.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:17 PM

thanks. its starting to come together

Old 10-11-2012, 06:27 AM

YES! Great piece,real estate lawyer keep up the terrific work.real estate lawyer brooklynThis is the type of information that should gain recognition for it’s craft…real estate lawyer in nyc

Quick Reply: LS1 Swap?