Brake peddle and bleeding "am I going mad"

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 04:44 AM
Default Brake peddle and bleeding "am I going mad"

Hi Forum,
Until recently the drum brakes on my 1968 Coupe Deville worked perfectly then all of a sudden the peddle went to the floor and the car pulled to the right slightly. My first thought was a blown wheel cylinder but I looked at the rear of all tyres and could not see any fluid stains on the tyres however one of the master cylinder wells was very low. Not wanting to stuff around I purchased and imported a new brake booster and rebuilt master cylinder from CaddyDaddy.

Now this is the strange part, when I pulled apart the old booster and master I could not see a rod protruding from the booster to the master I thought every classic car had this to make the master work when the peddle was pushed, anyhow when I looked at the new booster and master no rod sticking out so maybe I am wrong.

I filled the master with fluid and out of boredom pumped the brake peddle a few times and it went hard then turns the engine on and the peddle went soft and will not come hard again. I know I still have to bleed the brakes but my questions are should there not be a shaft between the two units and I'd
F the brake went hard once should it not stay that way
It is driving me nuts, all help appreciated
Ozzie Mick

Old 07-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Tech Certified Members

There should have been short "push" rod between master cylinder and booster. It would be 10mm by 80 or so. You should have seen it, if you removed master cylinder prior to booster. The rod can fall out booster it is not secured, but not really out of place. Did new master cylinder come mounted on booster? Make sure rod for booster didn't come off pedal.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:19 PM
Default Brake problem

Hi Slowroll,
Thats why i think i am loosing my mind. when i took the original booster / master out and pulled it apart there was no rod that i could see and i would have heard it drop on the concrete floor or seen it. When the new set up arrived and was bolted together and I took apart, same thing no shaft. When you say shaft are you talking about the same shaft that one end attaches to the brake peddle if so I have it but should there not be another one that sticks out the booster end or when i press the peddle down does this push the same rod / shaft out. I guess the question is as follows. Is the shaft that attaches onto the actual brake peddle the same shaft that pushes out and pushes the Master cylinder or is there two shafts one on the end of each other so to speak
"Help Me"
Regards
Ozzie Mick

Old 07-15-2014, 09:22 PM
Tech Certified Members

On the booster there a rod that attaches to pedal. On the master cylinder side there is a short rod that contacts piston of master cylinder. The rod mounts on diaphragm on opposite side of rod that attaches to pedal. Sometimes they are transferred from booster to booster. I have seen adjustable rods also. It may only protrude out a 10-15mm in hole on booster M/C mounts to. You could try to vacuum bleed fluid or gravity bleed by leaving bleeder(s) open until fluid steadily trickles out. Start at RR,LR,RF finally LF

Old 07-17-2014, 02:36 AM

Well I really am embarrised now! I took the Master Cylinder off and there was the second shaft sitting flush with the outside of the Booster opening. Thanks Slowroll for not calling me anything. i guess the lesson for me is i need to stop sniffing Kangaroo ****, it will send you crazy every time !!