hi all

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Default hi all

hi all. i am new here.
found this site while researching a problem with my 89's brake system. i came across this post,(cadillacforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4469) from 2007 in which i noticed a few things that were similar to my issue so i thought i'd bring it up. but first, i would like you folks to know, the dic absolutely does say "anti lock disabled" AND "anti lock ok" just as the other guy said. he was not misunderstanding or misreading it. in fact, this is part of my issue. NO codes stored, NO missing signals, but this is what happens.

when i step on the peddle, the red warning light on the dash comes on and the dic displays "anti lock disabled". then, in a split second there is a click ...or kick in the peddle that you can hear and feel, and the warning light goes out, and the dic displays "anti lock ok". the pump and ac***ulator have both been diagnosed as good and even though this happens while the car is stationary as well as moving, i had the wheel sensors checked too. all good.
i have spent hours on the phone with dick and another expert to no avail.
now, this happens every time the brake is applied weather the car is in gear, moving or not. one other thing i have noticed, when in traffic and frequent braking is required, like 6 or 7 times in a row, the disabled message will NOT clear and the red warning light does not come back on.
put your thinking caps on. ill try anything i haven't tried yet.

**EDIT UPDATE**
just threw first code B481 anti lock fault.

Last edited by rich; 07-01-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rich
hi all. i am new here.
found this site while researching a problem with my 89's brake system. i came across this post,( https://www.cadillacforum.com/forum/...ead.php?t=4469 ) from 2007 in which i noticed a few things that were similar to my issue so i thought i'd bring it up. but first, i would like you folks to know, the dic absolutely does say "anti lock disabled" AND "anti lock ok" just as the other guy said. he was not misunderstanding or misreading it. in fact, this is part of my issue. NO codes stored, NO missing signals, but this is what happens.

when i step on the peddle, the red warning light on the dash comes on and the dic displays "anti lock disabled". then, in a split second there is a click ...or kick in the peddle that you can hear and feel, and the warning light goes out, and the dic displays "anti lock ok". the pump and ac***ulator have both been diagnosed as good and even though this happens while the car is stationary as well as moving, i had the wheel sensors checked too. all good.
i have spent hours on the phone with dick and another expert to no avail.
now, this happens every time the brake is applied weather the car is in gear, moving or not. one other thing i have noticed, when in traffic and frequent braking is required, like 6 or 7 times in a row, the disabled message will NOT clear and the red warning light does not come back on.
put your thinking caps on. ill try anything i haven't tried yet.

**EDIT UPDATE**
just threw first code B481 anti lock fault.
Can we assume that this is an Allante? none if this applies to the rest of the Cadillacs .. Allante is unique.

the obvious problem is that the ABS ac***ulator is not holding enough pressure. the challenge is to find out why.
- a c c u m u l a t o r failing
- master cyl failing
- contaminated system
- ABS pump failing
- ABS relay

have you gone trough the diagnostic Allante ABS procedure that Dick Hussey wrote up?

When is the last time the brake system was FLUSHED completely?

Old 07-03-2010, 05:59 AM

"Can we assume that this is an Allante?"

this is the allante forum? yes, you may assume it is an allante.

"have you gone trough the diagnostic Allante ABS procedure that Dick Hussey wrote up?"

as stated, "i have spent hours on the phone with dick and another expert to no avail."

as for flushing, i have had the car only a few months, i am in process of finding someone with a flush machine at a reasonable price to do it.

since my post, i have made 3 more observations. one is that the click is coming from the master cylinder area and transmitting through the peddle. secondly, the peddle is not kicking, but actually dropping a bit when the click occurs. like pressure released for just a moment when it clicks. third, the pressure pump runs every time the peddle is depressed even the slightest bit and even before the warning light comes on and before the brakes engage.
and once again i will say, the ac***ulator has passed both dicks pump test and the cadillac dealers testing.
one mechanic thinks the anti lock is actually activating (thinking it needs to) and then being disabled due to fault. but what fault? no codes other than b481 general failure. and what would cause the system to think it needs to engage even sitting still?

Last edited by rich; 07-03-2010 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:10 PM

Hi all. I'm from Finland and I own (about 4 months now) an Allante 1990. Summer is over and so is my brakes, suddenly.

Symptoms like Rich that is not any more here (2 post) to tell how he solved problem.

Tried to get help from Dick, but without luck (no answer). Tom Rohner has tried to help.

Symptoms: NO BRAKES at all.

Done so far: Pressure tested with gauge from hyd.unit (from bleeding screw). Pump stops 170 bars and drops to 150 bars after. Stays there if I don't touch brake pedal. Touching pedal drops pressure to allmoust 0 bars and brake light comes on and text ABS and trackcontrol are disabled. After a while pressure comes back (about 30 seconds).

From brake fluid resvervoir cap leaks some small amount of fluid because inside there is an pressure flow from? master cylinder (internal leak?).

Codes from brake light ALDL jump wired are 12 and 64 and from computer B483 (history).

Brake fluid changed, no help.

Ac***ulator was pressurased to 55 bars in hyd. shop (there were some nitrogen left but dont know how much).

Now I have taken master cylinder away from car and I try to dismantle it. It is complicated so far.

Does some body have diagrams? Pictures? Or any other advice?

BOSCH original number is 0 265 402 008 for ABS hyd/master cylinder unit.

Regards Roni