stiff brake pedal when towing

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Default stiff brake pedal when towing

hey i posted a thread before on a stiff brake pedal when driving but this one is one when towing my car.This one is a 94 fleetwood. Its got some front end damage so im taking it to a body shop but the radiator is leaking so i really want to tow it so i dont have to stop every couple blocks and fill it up with water. I tied it up to my dads truck but my pedal was rock hard so i couldnt stop his truck. Its vac*** brakes but is there really that much va***m from the intake when the cars running? or is something wrong? Also is it bad for the engine to fill it up with water like that? im worried its ganna over heat.I have to drive it for about 1 mile.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: stiff brake pedal when towing

ORIGINAL: 1989 fleetwood

hey i posted a thread before on a stiff brake pedal when driving but this one is one when towing my car.This one is a 94 fleetwood. Its got some front end damage so im taking it to a body shop but the radiator is leaking so i really want to tow it so i dont have to stop every couple blocks and fill it up with water. I tied it up to my dads truck but my pedal was rock hard so i couldnt stop his truck. Its vac*** brakes but is there really that much va***m from the intake when the cars running? or is something wrong? Also is it bad for the engine to fill it up with water like that? im worried its ganna over heat.I have to drive it for about 1 mile.

must be one hell of a leak .. my thermostats dont even open in the first mile. Maybe you can connect the upper and lower hoses together? dont need a radiator for a fast ( 5 minutes ) one mile.

if you add water to a HOT engine, you gonna CRACK the BLOCK .. not a good idea.

if the brake booster is not working, you have the equivalent of very little force to move the brake pads. If the engine is not running, the booster is not working - exception: cars that use ABS ac***ulators (like the Allante) can stop a few times ( 4 to 5 times) with no engine power.

NO, I am not to advice pulling a car with ropes or chains. Get a dolly or buy a AAA membership. At around $50 membership, it is a whole lot cheaper than busting your Dad's truck rear bumper. I bet you know someone that has a membership .. buy friend lunch in exchange of the tow.