1985 Cadillac Coupe DeVille brake conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 12:35 AM
Smile 1985 Cadillac Coupe DeVille brake conversion

Hello everyone!!! I'm new to this site. This is my first thread. I was wondering if anyone knows how to do a disk brake conversion for a 85 Coupe Deville. I have some of the required parts. The parts I currently have are as follows: 1985 Cadillac Eldorado rear calipers w/bolts, rear caliper mounting brakets, 85 Eldo. rear brake pads and a GM front & rear disc brake prop. valve. I did SOME research on conversion kits. This was all the info. I found online for part that I needed. I'm still fresh to automotive repair but, I do know some basic mechanical skills and I'm not affraid of working on brakes (as long as I have all the proper parts). I know the lines to the current prop. valve need to be replaced or moded, and that I need new brake hoses and maybe cables. From what I've gathered (photos from the internet), the brake hoses for a DeVille and an Eldorado are very different. How would I get some hoses that fit the conversion (DeVille chassis to Eldorado brakes)? Any recommendations for hoses, brake cables and prop. valve fittings would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:26 AM
Tech Certified Members

Money would be better spent on replacing the rear assemblies from a later front wheel drive Fleetwood with rear disc's. I dont believe anything you have will simply bolt on.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:55 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by jreynolds_1983_WOOT
Hello everyone!!! I'm new to this site. This is my first thread. I was wondering if anyone knows how to do a disk brake conversion for a 85 Coupe Deville. I have some of the required parts. The parts I currently have are as follows: 1985 Cadillac Eldorado rear calipers w/bolts, rear caliper mounting brakets, 85 Eldo. rear brake pads and a GM front & rear disc brake prop. valve. I did SOME research on conversion kits. This was all the info. I found online for part that I needed. I'm still fresh to automotive repair but, I do know some basic mechanical skills and I'm not affraid of working on brakes (as long as I have all the proper parts). I know the lines to the current prop. valve need to be replaced or moded, and that I need new brake hoses and maybe cables. From what I've gathered (photos from the internet), the brake hoses for a DeVille and an Eldorado are very different. How would I get some hoses that fit the conversion (DeVille chassis to Eldorado brakes)? Any recommendations for hoses, brake cables and prop. valve fittings would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

what carnut said, will be cheaper, work better, and probably much easier to maintain.

you will also be able to do the job in one weekend once you visit the local pick-a-part and get what you need, all in one trip from one car, for the price of scrap plus a small premium.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Tech Certified Members

Front or rear wheel drive?

Old 02-07-2009, 08:11 AM

It's a front wheel drive.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by carnut
Money would be better spent on replacing the rear assemblies from a later front wheel drive Fleetwood with rear disc's. I dont believe anything you have will simply bolt on.
How difficult would it be to remove the rear assemblies? Also, what year(s) of Fleetwood would fit my car? I will post pics. of the parts I have when I return from work.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Tech Certified Members

I would suggest to use rear disc set up from 89 - 91 E ( Eldorado, Toronado, and Riveria, K Seville, or V (Allante' / Reatta). GM changed caliper design in regards to piston/actuator which did not require use of parking brake to move pistons out to keep rear pads in adjustment. You will need brackets, calipers, hoses, cables, etc. It will require a certain amount of fabrication - there is no straight bolt in using used parts

Old 02-08-2009, 11:52 AM

Here are the pics. of what I have so far. I also have the brake pads and rotors.

Attached Thumbnails 1985 Cadillac Coupe DeVille brake conversion-back-bracket-caliper.jpg   1985 Cadillac Coupe DeVille brake conversion-front-bracket-caliper.jpg   1985 Cadillac Coupe DeVille brake conversion-gm-prop.-valve.jpg  
Old 02-08-2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by slowroll
I would suggest to use rear disc set up from 89 - 91 E ( Eldorado, Toronado, and Riveria, K Seville, or V (Allante' / Reatta). GM changed caliper design in regards to piston/actuator which did not require use of parking brake to move pistons out to keep rear pads in adjustment. You will need brackets, calipers, hoses, cables, etc. It will require a certain amount of fabrication - there is no straight bolt in using used parts
Would this involve having to swap out the rear assemblies or just the parts used for the brake setup?

Old 02-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Do what you can from the salvage yards, one for one, trading components, then look in our "Community Services" .. there is an outfit that this is what they do .. convert drums to disk

Does anyone ever take a look at that thread? a lot, really a lot of good stuff there.

Quick Reply: 1985 Cadillac Coupe DeVille brake conversion