Rear brake Caliper issue, 95 Deville

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Default Rear brake Caliper issue, 95 Deville

I bought a 95 Cadillac Deville this past year from a friend. When I got the car I replaced the front brake pads right away. No problem, similar to other Chevy brakes with the 2 Allen wrench bolts to loosen.

Today I pulled the rear tire to replace the back pads as they've started to squeal. The lower caliper bolt is just a simple hex head, cake. The upper, I have no idea how to loosen it. It seems to have a rubber plug of some sort inserted into the middle and I have pulled on it as hard as I dare trying to pop it out without tearing it. I can't tell if it is an Allen wrench socket that is plugged or what. I see no other possible way to loosen the bolt. Anyone have any idea on this specific vehicle what more I have to do to get the caliper off?

Old 11-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Default RE: Rear brake Caliper issue, 95 Deville

Did you try to lightly tap the caliper loose.On my 99 seville you remove the lower caliper bolt and it swings upward on the upper caliper bolt. Sometie it takes some extra help to loosen the caliper.try to blled the line first then tap it upward. Once the caliper swings upward you can slide the top off the hinge.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:16 PM

Very nice, thanks Sneak, I'll be tryin this later today. Seems likely that this is what I'm lookin at as talking to a buddy he suggested the possibilityof a slide-type upper bolt too.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:40 PM

Hey, another question, same job >_<. It was just a simple swing which is cool. Easier imo then the usual double bolt. I had to drop the Sway Control bar to get it to swing far enough to get the old pads out, now here I ran into another issue.

I have one of those simple manual crank tools to compress the caliper piston. Flat plate, screw rod passing through it with a handle on one side and small plate to push the piston on the other. . . I cannot, for the life of me, turn it hard enough to compress the piston where I need it to get the new in. I'm not a weak guy so I don't think it's just a matter of me failing. I took the cap off my brake reservoir to try and relieve as much pressure as possible, but still no luck. Any special tools or perhaps a pressure release valve of some sort?

Old 11-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Special tool yes but a pair of needle nose can do it. You need to thread the piston into the bore. There are cutouts in the face of the pistion to turn it into the bore.