99sts brake pads rotor change - akebono ceramic brake pads

Old 01-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Default 99sts brake pads rotor change - akebono ceramic brake pads

- has anyone tried "akebono ceramic brake pads"-$80 set come with sensors etc..? i put these on frontmy 99 sts after my oems wore out and just feel there different. Sometimes they get a nice bite and other times i really have to brake hard to get same stopping power as oems. i feel the oems always had a nice aggressive bite to them cold or hot. Maybe the ceramic pads have to get hot? Im about to change them out again lasted 3 years of hard braking so can just imagine normal driver 5+ years maybe? Im just trying to conclude if its the pads or brake fluid or air in system cant figure it out. pedal doesnt feel spongy but is it possible that a miniscuel amount of air in systme will soften it up? Thinking to just change out front pads to oems again soon and see from there....any input would be appreceaited.Thanks

-
mod edit
title

Old 01-21-2009, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator
Default 99sts brake pads rotor change - akebono ceramic brake pads

ORIGINAL: 99STSGUY

has anyone tried "akebono ceramic brake pads"-$80 set come with sensors etc..? i put these on frontmy 99 sts after my oems wore out and just feel there different. Sometimes they get a nice bite and other times i really have to brake hard to get same stopping power as oems. i feel the oems always had a nice aggressive bite to them cold or hot. Maybe the ceramic pads have to get hot? Im about to change them out again lasted 3 years of hard braking so can just imagine normal driver 5+ years maybe? Im just trying to conclude if its the pads or brake fluid or air in system cant figure it out. pedal doesnt feel spongy but is it possible that a miniscuel amount of air in systme will soften it up? Thinking to just change out front pads to oems again soon and see from there....any input would be appreceaited.Thanks

YES !

that is why CERAMICS are NOT recommend for street driving ! ! !
accidents will happen with the much diminished braking ability!
they dont work well until they are hot!

take them off and go back to the OEM pads!

until then, drive around the block, apply brakes until they feel OK, heat them up BEFORE heading out .. specially at start of the day.

the ceramics will also eat the rotors fast .. whereas the OEM pads will self-sacrifice and spare the rotors.

now, if you often drive at 150 mph, we can have a different talk.