How do I preserve my 500? GM Cadillac 500 ci engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Default How do I preserve my 500? GM Cadillac 500 ci engine

I purchased a 500 and it is just a block with the crank and pistons still in it. The intake andthe heads have been removed.The blockhas seen some weather and will need to be bored at least .10 over. The bores have quite a bit of rust in them (no reallydeep pitting).The heads and intake were stored in better conditions.My question is , how should preserve the 500. Should I coat it with some type of oil or grease to maybe slow the rusting process? Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. I will not be able to build it for a while andit will be stored in a shed. This engine is really a dream come true for me and I don't want to let it go any further than it has. Quite a few years ago, someone told me that a lot ofsome drag racerswere burrying the old Chrysler hemis and it made them better somehow. I'm almost sure they were fully disassembled before this took place.Is this true? What were they burrying them in? Gingerbread cookies? Just kidding!What did they do to them before they were burried if anything? How long were they burried? Or is it just another hot rodding myth?I always thought itsounded a little strange but it isn't the craziest thing I have heard.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Default RE: How do I preserve my 500?

when i store an engine i always take some assembly lube and coat the cylinder an **** then bag it.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: dwpnz

I purchased a 500 and it is just a block with the crank and pistons still in it. The intake andthe heads have been removed.The blockhas seen some weather and will need to be bored at least .10 over. The bores have quite a bit of rust in them (no reallydeep pitting).The heads and intake were stored in better conditions.My question is , how should preserve the 500. Should I coat it with some type of oil or grease to maybe slow the rusting process? Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. I will not be able to build it for a while andit will be stored in a shed. This engine is really a dream come true for me and I don't want to let it go any further than it has. Quite a few years ago, someone told me that a lot ofsome drag racerswere burrying the old Chrysler hemis and it made them better somehow. I'm almost sure they were fully disassembled before this took place.Is this true? What were they burrying them in? Gingerbread cookies? Just kidding!What did they do to them before they were burried if anything? How long were they burried? Or is it just another hot rodding myth?I always thought itsounded a little strange but it isn't the craziest thing I have heard.

I do what Lithorian said with one added suggestion.

assy lube will not take care of what rust there is, spray it with lots of WD-40, also shoot into the passages, rotate the crank a few turns, then assy lube it, trow in a bag of desiccant, and bag it well sealed.

you can also use 2-cycle oil instead of WD-40. many of us actually use that mixed into the fuel tank to winterize cars, including Allantes.

IF you cant get desiccant, get a brown bag, put in 1/4 lb of ground fresh coffee, staple it tight and place it inside (top of block) when you seal the block.

when you reassemble the engine, run it for about 10 miles with transmission fluid, drain, change filters and then go normal oil. Trans fluid contains high level of detergent and wont hurt the engine as long as you dont dragster the car.

what year 500 ci did you get?

keeps us posted ..
nice project.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:23 PM

Do you know Stampie? ( Cadillac Lasalle Club )I got it from him. He said it was a '76. It has 5200 in the serial #. I'm getting a 1970 Sedan Deville from him with a 472 short block, 400 trans, and a 500 crank also (the crank isn't the one in the car). I wanted a spare motor and trans just in case. The car is ok but I don't know what to do with it yet. Good chrome, some rust, and mostly complete.