Transmission swapping?

Old 01-27-2010, 06:47 AM
Default Transmission swapping?

I have a 92 STS with a cracked tranny. the crack is about 1.2 inches long & is near a mount. im told JB Weld wont work. I have someone who has a transmission from a front wheel drive Eldorado & says it will bolt right in, is this right & is the JB Weld not an option?

Old 01-27-2010, 04:31 PM

I think if the tranny from the eldo is the same year as your tranny there should be no problem with mounting issues but I would check and make sure that they are compatable as far as gearing, shift points and computer interface is concerned.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:10 PM

The Eldorado tranny is from a 1990 model. I was told it should fit 91-93 cadillacs but another shop sid it wont fit. At this point it looks like the car will become a parts car if I have to spend another 500 on it. My last hope is maybe JB Welding up the crack.....

Old 01-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Tech Certified Members

jb weld wont hold under stress. btw, its basically epoxy.

but maybe you can screw a sheet metal patch to the housing with a backing of jb weld? that may let it run another season or two.

at any case, STOP the crack by drilling a clean 1/8" hole at the leading edge of the crack.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:13 AM

Hello Stomper
I was thinkin on doin a patch like you said but with a welder and I saw somewhere to stop the crack from spreading to drill a hole on each end. I wasnt to sure about the JB Weld not holding under stress though. I think I will try the JB & patch like you said though. Either that or sell the car as is & I may have a buyer but it sounds shady. The person wants to send money & have someone pick it up & deliver it to them out of town. I guess as long as I get the coin((1600), I shouldnt complain. I paid 1400 & put 200 into it, thats not counting the sales tax & 1 month insurance though.....

Old 01-29-2010, 10:29 PM

I bet that was craigslist right..lol

Old 01-30-2010, 08:43 AM

No, never was on Craigslist. I bought it from a friend of a friend.....

Old 01-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Tech Certified Members

You have to be careful swapping transmissions from one car to another, even if they are the same year model. There are different gear/final drive ratios, and installing the incorrect one will cause gear ratio error codes to be set, and the trans will not operate properly. Is this crack creating a leak, or is it simply a crack in an area of the case that doesn't contain any fluid? Is the crack in an area that would actually compromise the mount?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:29 AM

The tranny leaks like a sieve & I am told it is in an area where stress is when accelerating hard. I think Im gonna drill it to stop the crack from spreading & fill it in the best i can with jb weld, then do a metal patch over that with JB Weld. Hopefully it will hold for awhile.

Either that or sell it for parts cuz I aint wasting another 700 on it, still have to figure why the electronics on the dash aint workin, like heater motor, temp guage, speedo, all that crap thats on the dash. None is workin. I already have 1700 into it. Id rather have that spent on my 1969 Camaro SS. Hell, I only need to blow a 1000 tops to get that up & runnin instaeed of wasting my time on this. The Cad was supposed to be a car for all year but its been sittin all winter so far.....

Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by Ron Brydge
The tranny leaks like a sieve & I am told it is in an area where stress is when accelerating hard. I think Im gonna drill it to stop the crack from spreading & fill it in the best i can with jb weld, then do a metal patch over that with JB Weld. Hopefully it will hold for awhile.

Either that or sell it for parts cuz I aint wasting another 700 on it, still have to figure why the electronics on the dash aint workin, like heater motor, temp guage, speedo, all that crap thats on the dash. None is workin. I already have 1700 into it. Id rather have that spent on my 1969 Camaro SS. Hell, I only need to blow a 1000 tops to get that up & runnin instaeed of wasting my time on this. The Cad was supposed to be a car for all year but its been sittin all winter so far.....
cars dont last forever and one has to consider the car, its condition, and real value

patch it up, drive it till it quits, then part it .. that will often get you the most value out of any car .. with a little luck it will end up being a profitable decision.