Transmission Service

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Default Transmission Service

Dear Cadillac Enthusiasts,

I have a 1998 Seville STS with around 82K miles. My mechanic found the transmission in need of service...fluid change, filters, etc. Although the transmission life indicator continually reads 100%, I'm fine with the service because I purchased the car used and don't know whenthe trannywas last serviced. Nevertheless, my mechanic quoted me around $250.00 for the service which surprised me, and I placed a delay on the work. I called a transmission shop which offers the service for $40.00. What a huge disparity...any thoughts? I'm going to go with the transmission shop, unless y'all think there is something I'm missing.

Many Thanks,
alan

Old 10-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Transmission Service

If you don't know how old fluid at 82 k its most likely worth changing, however 250.00 is a little much. Northstar transmission or 4T80e has cleanable screens and re-usable gasket.So only parts required should be fluid if gasket is ok.There is a filter within side cover of transmission which only be replaced during major repair or overhaul. I would expect something in the 100.00 to change it add 50-75.00 for gasket if needed. Trans shop sounds too cheap like they maybe setting you up for a repair maybe not,but I would check their rep. first.Hope it helps

Old 10-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Transmission Service

i just had my sts...'99 done it was $80.00 or so..... thats a pretty normal cost for that, i think slowroll will agree.......any case, get it done for sure......