transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Default transmission problem

Hey guys! I own a 1998 STS and was wondering what kind of transmission problems I could be having or if its about to go out? My car has about 92,000 miles on it. I don't know if the filter or trans fluid has ever been changed. I have had the car about 1 1/2 yrs and have recently been having a problem shifting it out of Park when I first get in on a cold day or when I haven't driven it for a couple of days. It seems like it needs to warm up a bit before I can put it into reverse or drive. Since this has been happening I checked my trans fluid and saw that it was just about a qrt low. So I added Super Tech DEX 3..just until I could get into a shop to have them replace the trans fluid and filter. After adding the fluid and driving about 4 days it did seem to come out of Park a little easier. But now yesterday as I was driving my car it felt like my transmission was slipping or it felt like I tapped on the brakes when I wasn't! I plan on changing the fluid and filter this weekend and hope this clears the problem. Also should I get the transmission flush service done or is it a waste of money? Thanks for your replies!
[align=center] [/align]

Old 02-13-2008, 12:16 AM
Default RE: transmission problem

NEVER flush a problematic transmission, unless u want to put it in teh grave that is, have em chaneg the fluid and filter, drive her for a few thousand miles and if everything feels allright, have em drain it and fill it again with a new filter

Old 02-13-2008, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator

no, I dont recommend flush either. I have never had a flush done and
that includes all my muscle cars and my 4x4 that I use to tow a 10,000 lb trailer ..
i see no point in it .. I do see risk in flushing .. besides, if the clutches go, its a
total teardown, not a flush.

as Lithorian stated, have them drain it again .. WITH A NEW FILTER.

if you put it in gear and it wont go into gear, to me, that points to low fluid.
if you been running low enough, for long enough, damage can occur.

run the car until all is nice and hot, at least 5 miles, check fluid on LEVEL ground,
while in idle .. make sure it is 100% full, and not overfull

i'm confused .. did the filter and fluid get changed?

also, take a look at this thread, get yourself a bottle .. $7:
https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_18514/tm.htm

Old 02-25-2008, 07:04 PM

Hey... I am also a proud owner of a 99 STS with 96,000 and have never had a problem with the tranny until now. Just the other day I was driving and the car felt like it went out of gear at about 50 mph and the speedometer dropped to zero and shortly after re-engaged and kept alternating. I stopped checked the fluid which had bubbles on the stick.....is this very bad. I did let it cool down then drove it home slowly which drove ok below 30 mph, check everything at home and tried it again about 1 hour later and had the same problem.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Tech Certified Members

Foamy is not good, fluid is either over or under filled.