Trans and A/C Problem At Same Time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 11:43 AM
Default Trans and A/C Problem At Same Time?

Hi, All:

While running around doing some errands with my 93 Deville 4.9 (73,300 original miles) the R-12 A/C quit blowing cold (had to happen someday).

Then I noticed at a stop that the transmission was not starting in first when I went to take off again.

Further investigation revealed that the trans fluid was about 2 pints low. Topping it off made no difference. The trans will not go into first even if I put the selector in "1". However, if I put the selector in "2", it does seem to take off in second gear, which seems better than when in "D" or "1."

I have no check engine light and no way to pull codes.

Any way the A/C and tranny symptoms could be related or am I just experiencing an unfortunate coincidence?

I inherited this car from a relative last year and it's in really nice shape. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to sink a bunch of money into it at this time.

My service options are few:

1. The Cadillac dealer who does not have that great of a service reputation and who am I am sure will be really, really expensive.

2. A GMC dealer who has been very good to me and who I really trust. His labor rate is "only" $70.00/hour. However, even though he has GM expertise, his Cadillac expertise may be slim to none.

3. An independent shop who I know is very honest but I don't know his level of expertise.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:35 PM
Tech Certified Members

Check your fuses. The A/C fuse is also the fuse for the trans....
If the new fuse blows as soon as you turn the A/C on, or shortly thereafter, the magnetic clutch coil is probably shorted internally.
It could also be caused by a shorted solenoid in the trans, but it's more likely an A/C problem.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:16 PM
Tech Certified Members

Car has obd See FAQ section how to access codes. most likely two separate issues. Since it's not a drivability concern GMC dealer or independent should be ok ....never go to "shady" shops of any kind....you will be better off.