th 325

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Default th 325

Schucks could not get a filter housing or a gasket for the th 325. So I called NAPA and will have a gasket tomorrow for around $6.

I'm having trouble slipping in the low gears and leaking. I noticed when I removed the tranny pan that none of the bolts were tight, they were all barely more than finger tight. Maybe that along with the old gasket and wavy pan rim were causing my leaking? Would that also cause slipping?

I'm wondering if before I put the filter and pan back on is there something else I can check, like solenoids or something?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:59 PM

just updating readers.

Put the new gasket and cleaned filter back in and to no surprise it still slips in low. A-1 transmission said I need a rebuild and after conformation from a couple other people I decided to get the tranny rebuilt, but after cost shock - one place said $2,995 doh, I decided to check other options.

Called everywhere, thinking I might just get a good used one from a salvage yard, after I found out it would cost $1,200 - 1,600 at a number of places for the rebuild. Found an old one with dark red fluid for $200, passed on it. Found a used one with red fluid and out of a 105,000mile car that apparently just had engine problems for $350 plus a long drive. Then decided to shop around more for a rebuild, because after I got removal and install prices I was creeping back up to the $1,000 mark.

Ended up finding a quoted rebuild price at an Aamco way south of me, like 3hours. The owner quoted me $895 including labor and hard and soft parts. The guy said the only thing that would cost more is if the case is cracked. I asked him why he was so much cheaper than everyone else and he said, "Cause I'm the owner. And I own 7 of 'em." The point didn't make much sense to me, but hey I'm getting a rebuilt tranny for $895 baby... maybe, I'll keep ya posted.

ps what's crazy is I called an Aamco 1hr south of me and asked if he would match the price and he laughed at me. Then said it was probably just soft parts, so I called back and verified lol who's laughing now sucka

Last edited by WolfmansEldorado; 03-09-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:56 PM

ok just made it back from down south. watta drive. Just a note to those with a tranny leak trying to board a ferry boat, don't.

The first boat captain was having a bad day because his paperwork girl didn't show up so when he found out the eldo was leaking he said "No boardage". So I waited around and then asked the next ferry boat captain lol and he said sure as long as I put something down underneath it to catch it, then clean up after it. They are very strict here when it comes to leaking vehicles on the ferries.

Anyway, I got lucky and the boat ride saved me 3-4 hours of driving through Seattle traffic.

Now the car is in the wicked hands of the man and I'm expecting a phone call in the next few days saying, "Um, we ran into more problems than expected, it's gonna cost more money than we talked about."

Old 03-16-2009, 06:59 PM

Well, dropped it off on Tuesday the 10th and they said it should be done in 3-5 days. I called and talked to the owner on Saturday the 14th as I had not heard from them. He said he would call me back, or have Woody (manager) call me back. He was in a hurry, and so I doubted I would get a call back anytime soon, so I called on Monday the 16th at 10:00am. Owner answered again and said he would finish up inside then go out and check on it, then he or Woody would call me back. At around 4:00pm I got a call from Woody saying that the rebuild was completed and the car was ready to go, at the price we had discussed $895.00.

I haven't picked up the vehicle yet, but I just have to say that these guys at Aamco have saved me a ton of money and have been on the up and up throughout the whole process. Yes, they did not expeditiously return my phone calls, but from what I can read in the news the repair shops are busy as hell with people fixing the old not buying the new. Even if they weren't swamped, these are mechanics we are talking about not salespeople, so when you call don't expect starbucks' service and it may go easier.

I told him I would not be able to pick up the vehicle until Friday, because of the distance and obligations, and Woody said, "No problem, but it will have to be paid for now." I paid it over the phone and he faxed me a receipt, I will head down to pick it up on Friday.

I had been scouting for discounts over the last few days and found one for $100 off a transmission rebuild from Aamco, but it said "off regular priced services" when I asked Woody if I could use the coupon he said, "No way. It is already $1,295 under regular price for a rebuild." I have no problem with the price and will post after I pick up the car and check it over.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:40 PM

picked up the eldo yesterday the 18th, I had told them I would be in on Friday so I was unexpected. They had the car up on a lift and Woody told me they had double checked everything because they knew I was going to be making a long trip back with it. He told me under double inspection they found a loose bolt so it had been a great thing they reinspected it, he did not have to tell me, but he did and so more props to their/his business practice.

He went over the warranty information with me and it is basically a 12,000/1yr warranty. I can go in to any Aamco and he recommended Shoreline as it is closest to me, he suggested that I "not" go into a certain other one that I will not mention because I have not done business with them, but it was the same one I called before and they laughed at me when asked if they would match the price.

I have a free 10 day check up and I'll use it, because I've noticed some erratic behavior out of the transmission. This is the first rebuilt tranny I've driven, I expected consistent behavior, but I get it shifting slightly hard at times and the times that it shifts seems to vary, sometimes around 50 it will shift into 3rd and other times it will not. Anyway, I will bring this to their attention at the 10 day check, and post.

The service was done by Robert at the Bremerton Aamco, and when asked if he noticed anything immediate that I could do to the car, besides the exhaust leak, he mentioned that it needs a new head gasket. I just got back with head gaskets from Schucks for $18.99 each, and I be going to put them in with some NCAA tournament bball on in the background.

Just a note of thanks to Bob at the Bremerton Aamco for the price, there was a guy paying for his rebuild behind me and he noted that he wished he had gotten the price that I had, and Woody said it was because of the age of the vehicle. So maybe they are adjusting cost to vehicle value, if so and you have an old or cheap car with a bad transmission don't hesitate to give these guys a call.

The one thing I would do that I didn't, even though it was not needed, would be to have gotten a copy of the original order when I dropped off the vehicle, for my peace of mind while waiting on the service.