Leaking tranny coolent line

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Default Leaking tranny coolent line

Hi, yesterday at school i started my car to warm it up before my next class, because it was really cold out, i let it run for about 10 minutes then turned it off. When i got out and headed into school i noticed a huge puddle of tranny fluid. So I am just wondering how hard will it be for me to replace the blown coolent line. It was really cold out yesterday so i haven’t had a chance to crawl under it yet. Will do that tomorrow when it warms up. My Cadillac is a 1993 Cadillac Seville,it has the V8 4.9 liter motor and 166,410 miles on it.
The tranny is a 4T60-E four speed automatic overdrive transaxle,
The car sat from 7:30 AM to 12:15 PM, it was really cold out, then i started it up and let it run till it was warm. Then i turned it off and got out to go into school when i noticed the puddle off tranny fluid. After classes i had it towed home. The only thing i did after i got my car home was, i opened the hood, started the car and then i looked for the leak and i found it leaking or more like shooting out of a coolent line just below and a little behind the hydraulic modulator and that’s all i did so far.
So any HELP or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Tech Certified Members

If the line is leaking from the rubber hose, the hose can be replaced, but it requires cutting off the metal sleeve/clamp on both ends. Then the rubber hose can be removed, replaced and then hose clamps installed. It's not too much of a job, depending on your mechanical aptitude. IF you do this, be sure to get replacement hose that is specified to be compatible with trans fluid. Normal fuel hose is usually not, tho it will work in a pinch...it just won't survive for a long time before it swells up and splits.
You can also just replace the entire cooler line, if that is easiest for you. Finding one might be a challenge for an older car, but who knows...the dealer may still have some in stock.
It's possible that metal line has ruptured right where it goes into the trans. Not real common, but it does happen.
Another option is to take the car to a transmission shop and have them repair/replace the lines.
hth

Old 02-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Default Thank YOU!!!!!

Adams' Apple,
Hi,
Just wanted to say thank you for the information. Well i took your advice, it was pretty easy like you said. Except the leak was on the cooler line that came right out of the transmission and it was a metal tube, then it went into the rubber hose and then headed off to the radiator. So the first thing i did after i got the car on jack-stands was to see what i needed to do. Well after checking things out i decided to replace both cooler lines coming off the transmission since i was gonna do the one. First i had to get some good quality metric line wrenches which i did. After that i used a 17MM line wrench, both cooler lines came off real nice and easy not rusted on or anything at the transmission. It was a little harder to get at the rubber line hose clamps though, real tight fit and hard to get a flathead screw driver on them. But a little patience and i finally got them off. Then it was just pulling the cooler lines out and putting the new ones on and making sure everything was tightened up. Then i put 13 pints of DEXRON III ATF in the transmission and all is well so far. Transmission cooler lines were only $25.00 and $30.00 at Cadillac Dealer and line wrenches were $60.00 for 6 and around $20.00 for the DEXRON III ATF fluid, so all an all a pretty easy and cheap fix.
Thank You Very Much

Old 02-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Tech Certified Members

Glad you got it taken care of. Feels good, doesn't it? You'll eventually need those wrenches for something else, so that's not a total waste of $$$