Identify Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Default Identify Transmission

I have a 1992 Deville with a 4T60E transmission. It appears that there are a number of GM vehicles that use this transmission that have different drive ratios and also with a no-slip option. There is an id plate on the side of the transmission and I was wondering how to use the coding on this plate. Does any one know where I can get this info? I called the local GM dealer and they were of no help.
Thanks.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:43 PM
Tech Certified Members

Not sure what you mean by the "no slip option".
The 4 digit alpha-numeric code on the trans tag identifies the ratio. Any GM dealer can tell you what ratio the trans is, and what vehicle it was originally used in by these numbers...the problem is finding one that will take the time to actually look the info up.
Here's the chart for the '94 year model. I have the info from '91 up to '99.

From this chart, you'll notice that only ONE trans works in the Cadillac. Others have the same final drive ratio, but have different chain sprocket ratios, and/or different speedo ratio. Also, Cadillac is the only 4T60E that uses a trans fluid temp sensor. Basically, if you are intending to try to swap a trans from another car line into a Cad, it's not going to function properly. It's possible that other year model Cads will interchange...I didn't check other year model ratios. Another thing to consider is the torque converters for Cadillacs use a viscous clutch for lock-up, instead of a "normal" friction lined on-off type clutch. The converters WILL interchange(assuming it has the same stall speed), but using a regular, friction lined converter clutch usually creates a harsh lock-up apply. It can also cause the PCM to set a code for the converter clutch.

Attached Thumbnails Identify Transmission-4t60e.ratio.codes.jpg  

Last edited by Adams' Apple; 12-31-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Default no slip

What I meant for no slip is a the limited slip differential option.
Also, you have helped to see the differences in the various options Cadillac uses. I thank you for that.

Have a good 2013.
GW.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Tech Certified Members

Don't know why I posted the list for '94...I thought it was a '94, but I see now you said it is a '92. brain fart...
Anyway, here's the ratio ID chart for the '92 year model.
Limited Slip diffs are not normally used in Cads....I see them more in the Supercharged Pontiacs, and such.

Attached Thumbnails Identify Transmission-4t60e92.jpg