feels like transmission is slipping

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: feels like transmission is slipping-FLCaddyTech

It's been many moons since i tinkered with the 200.
IIRC the plug for that trans has 4 wires.
2 for the TCC and 2 for the reverse lights.

Disabling the TCC should have no long term disadvantage other than the engine running at a slightly higher rpm when cruising. And that's only if it was working properly to begin with.

If it was mine i would do the same things you have done.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:26 AM

it sounds like everybody is talking about unpluging the TCC, what about replacing it? is that something that can be done? I don't know yet if that is my problem, but would driving without it be like driving in 3rd? My service soon light came on yesterday, I am going to check the code tonight, I think the TCC will give a error code, I don't know if that is the problem or not?

Old 07-09-2007, 02:40 PM

i have an 02 sts it has a code 0741 what is the cost of getting this fixed? eothrash@yahoo.com thanks

Old 09-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator
Default P0741 P1860 TCC PWM solenoid

ORIGINAL: eothrash

i have an 02 sts it has a code 0741 what is the cost of getting this fixed? eothrash@yahoo.com thanks
i have an 02 sts it has code p0741tcc system stuck off and p1860 tccpwm solenoid circuit electrical but the trans. seems to be ok can someone tell me the cost of fixing this. thanks eothrash@yahoo.com

i brought your duplicate post from elsewhere .. please no posting the same question in a several threads.
it drives some of us nuts. Stick to one thread, from start to finish ...

P1860 is a circuit issue, it is set by a P0741. You can check the Soleniod from the 20 way connector.
it is said that the connector to the solenoid is often the problem.

P0741 - TCC System Stuck Off
P1860 - TCC PWM Solenoid Circuit Electrical

The solenoid can be replaced without dropping the trans but you got to lower the cradle some.
A Caddy dealer, will still charge you for dropping the trans even if they dont.

job by dropping the trani? count on $1,500
w/o dropping the trani? maybe half of that ..
shadetree mechanics do it with car on jacks.
solenoid part? i say between $50 to $100 .. i didnt check the cost.

until you fix it, you are adviced to drive it in 3rd gear and avoid wear and tear on the clutches.
for the most part, it shouldnt hurt the car, unless yo drive at 100mph.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2893/EE30568231514B6EA06108A24FB7F512.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Default RE: P0741 P1860 TCC PWM solenoid

Thank you so much for all of the information on this post. My Caddy recently popped up with the P0741 and P1860 errors. Took it to the dealership before finding this board. My issues all started while driving on the highway and it felt like the car was bucking. However after calling OnStar, they told me that sometimes this condition "resets" itself, and sure enough after leaving the car parked for an hour or two, the bucking completely stopped and it never happened again. Since the SES light was on, and I was missing a headlight, I took it to my dealership and asked them to reset the SES. I was horrified when they told me I was havinga transimssion problem and might have to have the whole thing replaced. I had just put 3K worth of preventative maintenance into it (and there was some fallout from that visit which I wish did not occur) and was hoping not to have another huge repair.

Fast forward to this weekend, I accidentally left my blackberry plugged into lighter charging while the car was parked for an hour and 1/2 and it drained most of the power from the battery. Car started fine when I left the hockey rink and drove about eight miles, however when I stopped to get gasand shut the car off,the car was completely dead when I tried to turn it back on. OnStar came and jumped me, and since my battery was original from 2002 they suggested I replace it.While I was driving to get a new battery, all hell broke loose, and the car seemed to be not getting enough gas when I tried to start from standstill or accelerate, and it was "sputtering" a bit and I was afraid it would stop moving!

I took it to my local mechanic and what he found was a battery that was collapsing from the outside in (said it was somewhat unusual), and he found a fried alternator. He replaced both, reset the SES and I picked the car up tonight.($226 dollars was much more palatable than the $3200 mydealer wasestimating for the transmission)The SES light was off for about 3 miles and then it jumped back on again. The car was not bucking at all, it was riding very smoothly. Called OnStar and the only error I received was the P1860. The otherP0741 issue is not showing up yet.

After reading all that I have it really does sound like either the solenoid is bad, or the wiring went bad based on the battery and starter problems I was having. Perhaps the short or wiring issues came from bad power.

This was long-winded I just wanted to say thank you, because before reading this forum I was panicking and making an appointment to have my entire transmission replaced. Now I will take the printed thread I found here to my local mechanic and see if he can replace the solenoid first.

Thank you again so much. - Anne