feels like transmission is slipping

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Default feels like transmission is slipping

i had my transmission fluid changed [it was about 40,000 miles over due] and about one week later i started haveing some troubles. i would drive and it feels like the tranny's slipping or something misfiring. It dosent just happen when its about to change gears it happens a lot on some days. some days it wont happen at all. it feels like it losses its power like the engines about to crap out. if im at the same rpm it will keep doing it untill i push the gas or let off the gas and then push again. ive thought of the possiblities of a bad fuel pump [but dont they just give out with not mush notice] or a messed up tranny about to go out, or water in my fuel tank but i just dont know.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:29 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: feels like transmission is slipping

PLEASE tell me they did NOT flush it !

what was done?
new filter?
remove pan?
drain fluid?
flush?
type fluid used?

check fluid level with engine running, trani in neutral,
car on level ground after running car ON STREET for 15 minutes.
warming engine in driveway does NOT count...

how many miles does the trani has? 140,000 ? 1st fluid change?

we go from there

Old 04-12-2007, 02:22 PM

They told mea new filter was put on, so they had to drop the pan to get to it [i assume]. they took out the old fluid and put in new. I dont know what type of fluid they used, but i did take it to a cadillac repair shop that ive taken to all my life. the guy really knows hes cadillacs so i hope he knew the right type of fluid he put in. i checked the level of the fluid the day of and after and about every other day after that and the fluid is at the right level. The tranni is the orginal one in my car and it has 260,000 miles on it. I know that sounds like a lot but about half is highway miles and it never gave me trouble untill i decided to have the fluid changed. Its been giving me the trouble for about 1 month.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:08 PM

i think ive found my transmission problem. I discovered it is my torque converter. When it lockes up it feels like it shifting. Does anyone have any tips on an easy unistall and install of the torque converter? And what would happen if i let it go all they way out?

Old 06-25-2007, 10:00 PM

I think we all may have the same problem. It may be the TCC. I posted on this for help confirming if this could result in the problem.

Kyle

Old 06-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

i wish i could answer your question.
however, may i suggest you PM both these techs? let them know about your posting?

katzmans cad and flcaddytech

these guys come here when their jobs and time allow them.
flcaddytech is a dealer master tech.

we do like the answers to be posted for others to benefit.
the PM's are linked to their personal emails.

BTW, everyone here is pretty easy going.
welcome here to our little site..

ORIGINAL: Kdaddy

I think we all may have the same problem. It may be the TCC. I posted on this for help confirming if this could result in the problem.

Kyle

Old 06-27-2007, 12:17 AM

Good news guys. The problem was the TCC. ITs an easy fix. After doing some research this is a typical problem with older trannys. Basically it feels like your Torque Converter is shot but in reality its the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid. For those who are having problems with their trannys and you have electronics on it, disconnect the wirning harness that goes into your tranny. If the problem goes away than you have a bad TCC. However DONT think ok I'll just drive around without it plugged in. Apparently your asking for troubles down the road if you do. Does anyone know why thiswould create a problem? Why wouldn't disconnecting the harness render your transmission to operate like a pre-electronic tranny?

Kyle

Old 06-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

That advise only works on certain early model electronic trannys.
Try unplugging your trans connector on a car made in the last 10yrs and you'd be lucky to get more than 1 gear out of it.

If you guys have any specific questions fire away with as much info and detail as possible.

This thread was too vague for me to offer any quality advice.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Kdaddy
Why wouldn't disconnecting the harness render your transmission to operate like a pre-electronic tranny?

Kyle
If the only electronics in a trans is the lock up, then unplugging it should be fine.
But modern transmissions use electronicsensors and solenoids that have replaced governors and throttle valves. Unplugging them renders that function of the trans inoperable.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:30 PM
Default RE: feels like transmission is slipping-FLCaddyTech

FLCaddyTech,

Glad to hear from you. Yes it is an old school 200-4R tranny in my 1984 Cadillac DeVille. That being said it looks like your the right man to talk to. In your professional opinion would you say that my tranny essentially is operating like a pre-electronics tranny now? And if so what could be the consequences if any by driving with it unplugged. Like I said once I disconnected it the tranny shifted GREAT. I hope to hear from you soon regarding any disadvantages or consequences of doing this.

Kyle

Quick Reply: feels like transmission is slipping