cold start no forward gears for 30 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Default cold start no forward gears for 30 seconds

2004 CTS Automatic transmission 64,000 klm, cold start no forward gears for 30 seconds, reverse works good Transmission fluid burn The dealer saids no Codes show up on computer Transmission Needs to be taken apart to find problem . Has anyone had the same problem no warranty After 60,000 klm? Jim

Old 02-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by jimsheila
2004 CTS Automatic transmission 64,000 klm, cold start no forward gears for 30 seconds, reverse works good Transmission fluid burn The dealer saids no Codes show up on computer Transmission Needs to be taken apart to find problem . Has anyone had the same problem no warranty After 60,000 klm? Jim
how long have you owned the car?
64000 km and no warranty?
does the transmission SLIP after it warms up?

my suggestion is to have the trani FLUSHED, get a new filter and add a bottle of LUCAS.
what do you got to lose?

taking the trani apart aint gone be cheap and you can always do that, if the FLUSH doesnt help.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Default transmission only slips on frist start up

thanks for the reply stomper,
the car had 54,000 klm on it when we bought it of a good friend
the warranty was for 4 years or 60,000 klm which ever came frist.
the transmission only slips on frist start up in the morning when it is cold for 15 to 30 seconds after it is put into gear. it seam to have to sit over night for this to happen as it runs good all day. one machanic said the oil was burnt the next mechanic said that the oil is that color in the caddy and that it is nornal. jim

Old 02-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Certified Members

Don't flush transmission, it could make things worse. Look in to getting extended warranty ASAP, transmission repairs are expensive. Adding Lucas likely wont hurt any thing I have no experience with their products. If you decide to get warranty get one with coverage of everything.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by slowroll
Look in to getting extended warranty ASAP ...... If you decide to get warranty get one with coverage of everything.

I didnt consider that .. a great suggestion slowroll.

Originally Posted by jimsheila
thanks for the reply stomper,
the car had 54,000 klm on it when we bought it of a good friend
the warranty was for 4 years or 60,000 klm which ever came frist.
the transmission only slips on first start up in the morning when it is cold for 15 to 30 seconds after it is put into gear. it seam to have to sit over night for this to happen as it runs good all day. one mechanic said the oil was burnt the next mechanic said that the oil is that color in the caddy and that it is normal. jim
it shouldnt slip warm or cold.
LUCAS seems to help in restoring friction surfaces and stop slip. ME and other around me, have "saved" many transmissions that slipped and were in need of "overhaul" .. these are still running fine years later .. w/o slip.

as to the trani fluid being burnt, it often smells when it it .. as to the color, compare to the fluid in a bottle of fluid.

i usually recommend AGAINST flushes, but when you said BURNT, I though that might be a way to get the burnt oil out .. I guess not .. definitely go with slowroll, he does this for a living, I wouldnt 2nd guess him.

maybe not a flush, but IF IF IF the oil is burnt, a drain + filter and replenish? slowroll?

Last edited by stomper; 02-07-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:01 PM

Catilac delear took out the trainy; the forward gears wear wore down to the steal and filing though out the trainy. They put in a new trainy, they said it was a defect from the factory and covered it under warenty, cost me $100. thanks for the tips guys .jim

Old 02-22-2009, 10:30 PM

Im just wondering is the forward gears considered the one way clutch or is that something else. also im considering flushing my tranni because its never been done to tranny before, why do yall look down on tranny flushes?

Old 12-09-2011, 12:45 AM

I am having the exact same problem with my car. My warranty is also up. Did the dealer replace it bc it was apparently "defected" and GM honored it? I find that hard ot believe.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:06 AM

Typically it is up to the dealer if the vehicle is out of warranty whether the parts are covered or not. There could be special cir***stances. You will have to contact your local dealer to find out what the charges will be, if there is. Let us know what you find out.
Breanne
Cadillac Customer Service

Old 12-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Default cts 5l40e trans slipping

i have o4 cts with 5l40e auto trans and it does the same thing (slips in forward gear in mornings, dealer told him it was defect did gm put that out in a public bullitin so we we can all see it or will dealer have it and tell you about it, give me some info i would love to dig into this more THANKS k9will

Quick Reply: cold start no forward gears for 30 seconds