Caddymad

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 12:32 AM
Smile Caddymad

I own a 1958 Cadillac de ville here in New Zealand and I have a problem with a vibration stationery at around 2000 rpm in neutral. It seems to be coming from the bell housing area. I have checked the harmonic balancer and found no problem there. Do these jetaway trans have a problem and is there any easy fix. I would be open to any suggestions as it is quite bad at about 50mph. Cheers.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:15 AM
Tech Certified Members

PM adams apple he may know

Old 03-22-2014, 09:41 PM
Tech Certified Members

Holy Cow that's an oldie!
The converter can certainly cause a vibration like that. Iirc, those are bolted together, and have to be un-bolted to remove it from the trans. There may be an internal component that is worn/damaged causing the vibration. Has there been any work done on this thing lately?
I may have a manual on that thing here somewhere....I'd have to dig for it, but if I have it, I'll see if I can get some info to you.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:08 PM
Default Caddymad

Thanks for the reply. The trans was supposedly done in Texas before I bought the car. Since posting this thread I have found the rear trans mount is pretty solid. I have ordered a mount from USA and Ill give that a try when it gets here. Cheers Rick.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:27 AM
Tech Certified Members

A bad mount can certainly cause the driveline to be out of alignment, and create a vibration. Hope that's all it is! Quick fix!!