Any 4T80E guru's on here??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:35 AM

No i dont have a manual. I can drive on the highway no problem. I guess I'll head up to the shop today and see if the scanner can shift it. I did check the connector between the pcm and trans, it looked alright. No visible damage or anything. All fuses are good. If I can't figure this out by the weekend I think I'll just sell it as is. This will be my first and last cadillac that I own.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:46 PM
Tech Certified Members

I've been out of pocket for a while, so I haven't been around. 3 different trannys doing the same thing eliminates the trans itself as the cause of the problem. What you have, from what I read here, is a PCM issue, or no power to the trans connector. You do need to find a way to scan for codes, either by using the on-board diagnostics, or by taking it to AutoZone, or some shop to scan for codes.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:48 AM

Can this be a similar issue:
My question if you have time to answer is this: I have a 1996 Seville SLS and my trans is not shifting to 3. It shifts from D! to D2 but D3 it spins like in neutral. If I manually place in D3 it moves but does not seem to D3 maybe D2. Could this be a solenoid? or clutches. I need some direction before I move forward. Additionally my ISS have been out for the last two years but has been driven with no apparent affect. This just recently started. Any thought?

Old 10-27-2014, 10:02 PM
Tech Certified Members

You need to pull codes before figuring out where to go first. Codes will normally put you on the right track. A 1-2-neutral can certainly be a shift solenoid problem. It's possible that the trans is actually downshifting back into 1st gear, which at 30-40 mph would feel like neutral.
On most GMs 3rd gear is "failsafe", meaning if there is a problem that causes the power(voltage) to the trans to be shut down, it will have reverse and 3rd gears only....enough to get you home, or to a service center. See if unplugging the trans connector will still let the car move forward. If it takes off in 3rd gear, then you do most likely have a solenoid problem.
The shift solenoids are in the bottom pan, on the lower valve body, and it requires the valve body be removed, and dis-assembled to replace either of them.
If your ISS(input speed sensor) has been "out" for 2 years, I'd find it hard to believe that the trans is operating 100% properly. The PCM needs that signal to determine shift points, and gear ratios. Granted, it may be substituting the engine rpm/tach signal to operate the trans, but there's no way it could calculate the gear ratios in 3rd or 4th gear without a true input speed, since the torque converter causes a slight loss of speed/rpm until it goes into lock-up mode.

Get some code info, and post....let's see what we have to work with.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:34 PM

Thank you are your response. Besides the ISS (717 code) I have RS0036 for the road suspension. Yeah its hard to believe it drove without any effect. My thought it might be a false alarm....it occurs once the engine has warmed up. Also I did take the connector apart to clean and it appears to have transmission fluid in it...cannot see how it gets in there. Also had a water leak from the metal to rubber hose on the thermostat.
I will disconnect the trans connector and see if it will move forward. I finally got a diagram for the connector and will check the electrical readings for ISS and solenoids.
Once again thank you for your expertise...

Hometurf

Cadillac owner since '78

Old 09-18-2015, 02:13 PM
Default transmission code 717 ISS no signal

Will a lack of ISS signal cause the transmission to shift from 1 to 2 only.
After that it spins freely no torque but if I place in D3 it seems like D2.
I checked the resistance of ISS and it appears open.
Also there appears to be a fluid in the connector (dark pinkish like tranny fluid). I cleaned it out and it still comes out. Is this normal?

Old 04-13-2016, 02:47 PM
Smile

Adam Apple not sure if you are still around but I disconnected the connector and it drove so I do have 3rd gear. The fluid turned out to be engine oil coming from the leaking Oil sending unit nearby.
I still have the 717.
Do you know the symbol meaning when PCM? is displayed for a 1996 seville?
I have the transmission manual but it is for 2003 and the display is different.
When I drive I can see them coming on and off. It appears from my guesstimate that when it pcm initiates fourth gear ( i assume) it detects something is wrong and disengages the TCC...does that sound reasonable.
Thanks in advance for your technical assistance.

Hometurf