86 Deville no wanting to shift everytime

Old 12-07-2016, 04:02 PM
Default 86 Deville no wanting to shift everytime

New to forum was hoping there is someone who is more familiar with my transmission system on my 86deville (set up for California emissions)
I had the car a few years it has 108000miles on it,recently I noticed that it was having trouble shifting,I first noticed it seemed to be driving in to high of a gear (not enough power,not shifting out of overdrive I thought),then the next day it it did not want to shift up right away,it will decide to shift but not properly,seems like it shifts properly some of the time,other times it does not want to shift right away,

Anyone that could help me trouble shoot this problem I would greatly appreciate the help

Here's is a list of checks I done so far

checked the transmission oil,it is at proper level ,does not smell burnt and no ground metal on the dipstick oil
Checked the vacuum diaphragm on side of the transmission housing traced line checked for broken vacuum hose no break in it
Adjusted the Tv cable goes from top of transmission housing and connects to throttle body lever(accelerater) adjusted the Cable by turning the throttle lever wide open and holding in that position while I depressed the adjustment button on cable (with cable left in mounting bracket)after it adjusted I let the cable adjustment button up then released the throttle
Took it for a test drive after these checks still same same problem

Old 12-09-2016, 12:36 PM
Tech Certified Members

The transmission shift timing is controlled by shift cable. Feel is controlled by modulator. Which is different has most transmissions. Carbon build up in TBI on modulator can result is soft shifting and eventually slipping. When modulator is disconnected vacuum should whistle and with a gauge there should be no delay as throttle is snapped. You may need to pull pan and check for debris.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:53 PM

Well thank you S.R.
I think the next thing I do will be to check the vacuum on the modulator
And the pull it to see about any carbon build up
And possibly check that diaphragm in there
I will post an update here in a couple of days and l let everyone know what I found
Thanks again for the help I was really scratching my head on this one
Bill