70k miles - new trans?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Default 70k miles - new trans?

Original owner, 2003 Seville SLS, check engine soon error codes are telling dealer there are problems with the torque convertor engaging at highway speeds (a "fifth" gear according to trans tech). Probably explains my wife's 10% drop in average mileage over the last few months. Tech said usually replacement parts are about equal to a new trans, may just want to put in a new one. He has seen this often enough for it to be "usually"? Anyway, he was surprised at only 70k miles, but others that have needed new trans, including 2 Devilles, both over 100k miles, were the result of mostly freeway driving (I guess where the lock-up is working in and out a lot). My wife has about 85% freeway driving. Will replacement/rebuild trans do the same thing in another 70k miles, so we should get rid of car before then? Unfortunately, we did not realize extended warranty was essential on Cadillac - this is our first. With the failed water pump, crank sensor (she narrowly avoided an accident when that caused the engine to stop on a bridge!), brakes, premature battery failure, what can we expect next if we fix and keep the car? She loves driving it as long as it works reliably! Does the new CTS have better engineering? Not really ranting, just seeking some help deciding whether to stay with Cadillac or go back to Toyota.

Any thoughts, recommendations, advice would be much appreciated.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:20 AM
Default RE: 70k miles - new trans?

sounds like bull to me, a new torque converter should not cost as much as a new trans, and on top of that if the torque converter isnt locking up like its supposed to, id start with the TCC solenoid, bring the car to a reputable trans shop and get a second opinoin, dont tell em what GM said though, most mechanics work off of a total ticket commision, meaing the higfher the bill, the higher their pay.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator
Default 70k miles - new trans? 2003 Seville SLS

ORIGINAL: engnrng

Original owner, 2003 Seville SLS, check engine soon error codes are telling dealer there are problems with the torque convertor engaging at highway speeds (a "fifth" gear according to trans tech). Probably explains my wife's 10% drop in average mileage over the last few months. Tech said usually replacement parts are about equal to a new trans, may just want to put in a new one. He has seen this often enough for it to be "usually"? Anyway, he was surprised at only 70k miles, but others that have needed new trans, including 2 Devilles, both over 100k miles, were the result of mostly freeway driving (I guess where the lock-up is working in and out a lot). My wife has about 85% freeway driving. Will replacement/rebuild trans do the same thing in another 70k miles, so we should get rid of car before then? Unfortunately, we did not realize extended warranty was essential on Cadillac - this is our first. With the failed water pump, crank sensor (she narrowly avoided an accident when that caused the engine to stop on a bridge!), brakes, premature battery failure, what can we expect next if we fix and keep the car? She loves driving it as long as it works reliably! Does the new CTS have better engineering? Not really ranting, just seeking some help deciding whether to stay with Cadillac or go back to Toyota.

Any thoughts, recommendations, advice would be much appreciated.

huhhh ? no no no ...

unless there is something I missed, or the car is raced, these electronic transmissions
go 200,000+ miles ... at 1st glance, sounds like a $50 solenoid has a sticking glitch ..
what are the codes? NEED THE CODES !

make darn sure the transmission is filled 100% and not overfilled.
I would get a 2nd opinion long before I start yanking out transmissions.

one other suggestion .. one that a lot of us Allante owners are putting to use in our 200,000+ mile cars ...
pour a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix .. actually it works. you got NOTHING to lose, except $7.

http://lucasoil.hodgsoncorp.com/slip...ansmission.htm

our TECH slowroll may chime in and enlighten us if there is a high failure rate with that year.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Default RE: 70k miles - new trans?

This diagnosis is being done at our local Cadillac dealer who has been servicing the car since new.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Default RE: 70k miles - new trans? 2003 Seville SLS

Thanks, Stealth. I will get the codes today. GM has agreed that the transmission should not have failed and will cover 40% of the repair cost. The dealer began the teardown at GM's authorization. They have found numerous parts out of spec due to wear. Apparently some bearing or bushing in the torque convertor lockup mechanism can have excessive wear which then allows the shaft to have runout, which gradually causes other parts to wear. They are not finished with the teardown yet, expect to be today, but the cost totals so far are within a few hundred dollars of what it would cost to install a new transmission. Could one trip across the Mojave desert at 80 mph on cruise control have caused this? The master technician seems to think this mode of failure is connected to a high percentage of freeway miles. He personally has seen two other transmissions with this same condition, both on cars with over 100,000 miles - mostly freeway. I will report back when I have more information.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:11 AM

about 80% of my tranny's travel is highway, and its got 150k on it, no slippage still shifts, TC still locks up, only issue i have is a drum lost a thrust washer... oops?

Old 02-13-2008, 10:57 AM

Great news, Lithorian. Keep in mind, this dealer has seen only 3 transmission failures of this type over the last 5 years, in hundreds, possibly thousands of vehicles. Also, if you have 150k miles, yours is probably an older Cad - all three failures were in cars around 2001 to 2003. Apparently Cad introduced some new features in those transmissions - perhaps Stealth knows?

Old 02-15-2008, 12:00 AM

OK, Stealth, the codes reported by the dealer are PO335 and PO701. The first thing they checked was the solenoid. Master technician said the solenoid was firing properly, but not activating inside the transmission the way it should, apparently the TC was not locking properly even tho the solenoid was OK. Also, one of the codes is the crank position sensor, nothing to do with the trans, I guess. The dealer has totaled up the parts needed to rebuild the trans at $2300 plus labor. A new trans is $2600 and a lot less labor, so GM authorized replacing the trans with a new factory unit. They will cover 40% of the cost, and we might have the car back as early as Monday.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:35 AM

i believe a bad crank sensor can retard the vehicle from locking the TC, not sure though, but it sounds like they shoulda replaced the crank sensor and road tested it b4 throwing a transmission at it...

Old 02-20-2008, 09:33 PM

Picked up our Seville today. Stealth, on paperwork, code listed was PO741, not PO701 as I had before. "Case cover to drive sprocket/turbine seals worn down. Also drive sprocket scarred and pitted." My 60% part of the new trans was $3100. They also replaced both crank sensors. I will drive it for a couple of weeks to make sure the PO335 code stays away. Then my wife can enjoy her car again!

Quick Reply: 70k miles - new trans?