2006 DTS tranny line leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Default 2006 DTS tranny line leak

Hi everyone! My wife has a 06 DTS that just developed a pretty severe leak from the transmission. I crawled under it and (after tightening the pan bolts) I found behind the pan (towards the rear of the car) right above the frame cross member, the cap on the line going into the tranny is loose and leaking. For the life of me, I can't get my paw in there enough to push the cap back on. Anyone have any suggestions short of dropping the cross member (and by extension the engine/transmission?

Thanks for your time!

Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 PM
Tech Certified Members

The cooler lines are either threaded, or have a "clip" to hold them in. The threaded style only requires a wrench to tighten. IF you have the type that uses a clip, and the line is leaking, it's possible the clip was mis-installed at the factory. If the clip is on properly, but the line is leaking, the o-ring inside the fitting is bad, and needs to be replaced(or just replace the complete fitting). It's also possible the metal line has a crack in it right where it goes into the fitting on the trans. Some of the clip type fittings did have a plastic cover/"cap" over them to help hold the clip in place, but other than that, I'm not sure what you are referring to as a "cap".
One cooler line goes in the front of the trans, by the radiator. The other line goes in one the rear(towards the firewall) closer to the passenger side axle. That one is a little difficult to get to, but not impossible. Just need small hands.
Are you certain it is not a power steering line that is leaking, since the steering rack is right there, too?

Attached Thumbnails 2006 DTS tranny line leak-clrfitclps.jpg  
Old 01-05-2013, 11:23 AM

Thanks, AA! First, thanks very much for taking the time to help me with this!!! As for the rack vs tranny, I'm sure it's the tranny, I can see the lines for the power steering (thought they were to the tranny originally and was going to try to tighten them, before I realized what they were). There isn't anything to put a wrench on, so I'm guessing I have the clip type. I can't see a clip, but I'll crawl back under it in a bit (my kingdom for a lift!!). It looks like there's a cast portrusion on the tranny, that is round (no hex shape at all) with the black cap that isn't sitting on the "portrusion" 100%. i tried to push the cap back on with no luck, although the cap spins freely. Is there another type of fitting that Caddilac used that wasn't wrenchable? When I get back under it, I'll try to take a pic, then try to figure out how to post it..... My leak is definitely right below the rack, puddles forming and can see the atf on the cross member, fitting, etc. Again, thanks for taking the time to help me!!!!!!

Last edited by sasnks; 01-05-2013 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Add more info
Old 01-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Tech Certified Members

Have a look at this image of a 4T80E trans. Can you pin-point where you are seeing this "cap"?

Attached Thumbnails 2006 DTS tranny line leak-4t80.jpg  
Old 01-05-2013, 10:43 PM

It's Definitely the cooler line. I got back under it, and i was wrong, the color is the same as the tranny and that's what threw me off. It is a wrenchable part. It's so hard to see laying on the ground. I felt in there and you were 100% corrct, it is hex shaped for a wrench. I'm just not sure how a standard wrench will get in there to it. I'm sorry for the confusion. The cap is on top of the fitting, like you said. I can't see a clip, but the cap is probably in the way... Any thoughts on how to get this off? Is a special tool required, or just a lift ? Again, many thanks for your insight!

Old 01-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Tech Certified Members

From your description, you have the clip type fitting. The "cap" is nothing more than a retainer to help keep the clip in place on the assembly line.
The little clip can be removed with a small screwdriver, or a small pick with a 90 deg bend on the end. If you remove the clip, it will disappear into no-man's land, never to be seen again....unless you are really lucky, and happen to see where it lands.
Your leak is probably due to a failed/worn o-ring inside the fitting. My best recommendation would be to just replace the fitting with a new one, as changing the o-ring can get frustrating, on top of getting the clip/line off, and the fitting out of the trans. You might be able to remove the passenger side tire/wheel, and reach in from the side to get to the fitting...I've never tried to get to one of those fittings in the car, so I can't say for sure. A lift would certainly be a huge help.
There is also the chance that the metal line is cracked/damaged where it goes into the fitting. It's rare, but it has happened. There was a GM TSB on these clip fittings a few years back about the metal lines getting worn where the clips touch them, and wear a hole in the metal line(s). It would be a good idea, if you get the line loose, to look at it very carefully, to be sure the line itself if in good condition.
The only other suggestion I have is to take it to a shop, and have them do the job for you. It shouldn't be too costly to simply replace the fitting and clip.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:35 PM

Thanks very much for your help, advice and counsel!!! I'm going to try taking off the wheel like you suggested, but will probably wind up at a shop. One of these days, I'd like to meet an auto engineer just to punch him in the nose! I miss being able stand in the engine compartment and work on a car...

Old 03-14-2013, 04:53 PM

I have the same problem now. Were you able to get to it from behind the wheel?

Old 03-15-2013, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by ageorges
I have the same problem now. Were you able to get to it from behind the wheel?
I damaged my shoulder a couple of days later and ended up in surgery, so it wound up going into the local tranny shop which fixed it for $200...

Old 10-22-2016, 06:45 PM

I just had my transmission replace an now my car won't start please help