2003 Seville trans problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 01:15 AM
Default 2003 Seville trans problems

Hey guys Im a new member. I from indiana and I own a 2003 cadillac seville sls with the 4.6 northstar. First a Little bit of background. I bought the car about six months ago for 300 bucks, it had an overheating problem and a high idle problem. i fixed the cracked radiator and replaced the plenum gasket. That fixed both of those issues. The engine has less then 2 years on the rebuild and I am the third owner of the car. It has ran and drove great for the last 6 months untill about a month ago we took a 4 hour trip. After being on the interstate for about 1hour or so at a constant 70-75 mph we got of at an exit. when we did this we noticed the trans acting funny. The trans acted like it was stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear. I pulled over checked the trans fluid, it spilled out over the top of the fill spot, we then proceeded to drive the car to their nearest parking lot. the car drove perfectly fine not a single problem since then....... Untill now we took another long drive and was on the interstate for about another 1hour or so at a constant speed of 70-75 mph when we came to an exit it did the same thing so i did what i did before and drove again car drove and shifted fine except it wouldnt go into overdrive we got off at the next exit. since then i have lost reverse, and the car acts like your riding a clutch in a manual vehicle until about 2000 rpms then it slowly takes off but will not shift. every so often it will click right into drive and take off fine but will not shift still no reverse. when you try to drive the car it dumps trans fluid out of the overflow tube.

I put the car on jacks and drained fluid from pan and noticed the two filters inside the trans were destroyed globs of the filter remain at the bottom of the pain almost feels like balled up steel wool. I need help i am stumped on what this could be as i fear its a damaged valve body now taht it may have ***** of filter roaming throughout the transmission.

I am thinking about giving it a good flush replacing the filters and putting it all back together to see if i am in luck this time as maybe the filter was gloging the trans line and preventing the fluid to flow to the trans cooler causing too much pressure and for it to over flow. any thoughts on what may be going on would be greatly apreciated. I hope its not to much but afterall its worth fixing no matter what the body is in great shape so is the interior and the car ran great other then this trans issue

thanks again guys and my name is shane ps. the only code i have is the same code since i bought the car and that is p0717 input speed sensor(maybe this is the only problem) I am a decent mechanic just havent messed to much with transmissions and this is my first ever cadillac.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:38 AM
Tech Certified Members

The description sounds like the trans has been overheating. If the two plastic filters in the pan are melted, or the filter screens are completely gone from the filter housings, there's no quick fix...the trans is gone. No reverse is a mechanical problem...not electrical, or hydraulic. Sorry to say, but it sounds like the trans will have to be rebuilt...