2000 sts not shifting - codes DIM1324, 2510, 1255, U1016. IPC 0106. P0340, P0741, P1599 & P1860

Old 01-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Default 2000 sts not shifting - codes DIM1324, 2510, 1255, U1016. IPC 0106. P0340, P0741, P1599 & P1860

Hello guys. i have been reading thru the numerous post about my problem with my moms 2000 seville. On a recent trip she lost 3rd and 4th gear. She has owned this car 4 years. 3 years ago the cadillac dealer worked on the torque converter overdrive issue and she has had no trouble till now. the car has 96000 miles on it. The car runs fine and will shift smoothly with no noticable slippage into 2nd. but will not go into 3rd. When i first looked at it, it was stuck in 2nd untill i cleared the codes ( DIM1324, 2510, 1255, U1016. IPC 0106. P0340, P0741, P1599 & P1860). I cleared the codes and it would then start in 1st and shift smoothly to 2nd. there are no weird noises or anything like that. just will not shift to 3rd.
I changed the shift solenoids and supplied filter using the new bracket. I am fairly certain i have all the ***** in their original placements. The transmission fluid was real clean and smelled good. there was no debris of any sort in the pan, and no gray sludge whatsoever. Everything went together real smooth. but the problem still exists. the only codes now showing are p0340 & p1599. I could find no visible signs of wire damage, but plan to look closer today at the wires near the PCM. (i am wondering if a rat may have chewed something up as she lives in a very rural area). The only other problem she has had recently and may be related is a failure to crank at times. This problem manifested itself again right after i changed the solenoids. the starter would not engage untill i manually moved the shift lever thru its range several times. it then cranked and started. she remarked that this problem was happening intermittanly in the weeks before her losing 3rd gear shifts.
Any ideas or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

-
mode edit
title

Old 01-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 2000 sts not shifting

It could be related to what you did or something you missed. Shift sol B could be not connected in trans, pitched wiring, etc How much transmission experience do you have ? Why were shift solenoids replaced? Codes P0340 - cam sensor, P0741 - TCC, P1599 - stall / near stall,& P1860 pressure control sol.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:41 PM

hello Slowroll. We changed the solenoids on the advice of a friend who is a GM service tech. told us it was common issue when it would not shift. I am comfortable in working on a transmission to a point. I used to routingly put shift kits in the older chevrolet 350 and 400 transmissions. I feel i did the job on these solonoids correctly and didnt pinch anything. But if all else fails i am more than willing to take a second look.
I worked on the car again after first post and found 2 wires, an orange one and a grey one chewed into where the wires enter the housing for the PCM, they were hooked to the connector on the PCM closest to the firewall. i respliced those. I also found the round plug on the transmission harnesss full of moisture. I cleaned it with contact cleaner. It still will not shift into 3rd. But it is now bucking violently at times before it will shift into 2nd. By bucking, i mean the RPM's will jump up and down 500RPM very rapidly. I feel it is the engine cutting in and out. once it shifts to 2nd it is okay up to 58mph at 3700rpm,. it then starts to buck again. My son noticed while we were driving that the digital gear indicator was showing the car to be in park. We also found in addition to the wires chewed under the hood, there was a rat nest being built under the back seat. could find no wires chewed.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:53 PM

New codes set today as i cleared codes before starting work on it.

AMP B1004 history
DDM U1065 HISTORY
DIM U1255 HISTORY
U1065 HISTORY
U1016 HISTORY
IPC B1004 HISTORY
IPM B1652 HISTORY

IRC NONE

PCM P1599 HISTORY
U1096 HISTORY
P1122 HISTORY
RFA NONE

RIM U1255 HISTORY
U1065 HISTORY
RSS C0710 HISTORY
SDM U1096 HISTORY

VTD NONE

ABS NONE

There was no SES light on at the time these were pulled. We did unhook the battery, so some of these will be related to that.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Tech Certified Members

Hopefully you GM tech friend can print off pages of service manual if not borrow a manual. You need a Tech 2 also to do some tests. P1122 relates to TPS. U codes are never good they indicate data communication faults between modules. The mice moving in definitely puts a twist into this. The PRNDL issue may be related to U codes. You could check all the grounds you can find. If you go into Search menu Topic : RIM and author: Rickyd; you will find alot of info relating to U codes. Escentually, you have the car so much of the info will apply

Old 01-11-2009, 11:50 AM

thnx for the info slowroll. I had a gut feeling this was going to be an adventure. My tech buddy has been awol the last few days. ill just have to wait him out hehe. The strange thing with these coodes are they werent there untill i respliced the chewed wires back together. before that it would only throw the p0340 and p1599 while driving. And i am wondering about the gear indicator. what signals it?? Is there something in the tranny that signals it. I am strongly thinking that maybe i did pinch something putting it back together.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:10 PM

Wow!!!! I just read the adventures of Rickyd. Quite a story. I have hope though that my problems arent as bad. But from his story i realize just how important it is to proceed in a logical and methodical manner. The only weird thing going on in the cockpit is the digital gear indicator showing park while in drive. all guages, lights and accesories are all working fine. the following issues are not

1=Will not shift into third
2=Engine bucks violently at half throttle or more. (500rpm up and down rapidly)
3=intermittant no crank (can be remedied by rapidly moving gear selector thru full range)

There is something else i have noticed while driving. If i leave the gear selector in 2nd, the RPM's stay high when i let off the gas at speed. but if i have it in 3rd or drive, the rpms will go to idle when i let off the gas at speed. Like it is coasting.
I think i am going to drop the pan and end test the internal wiring harness to the shift solonoids. And it cant hurt to take a second look at my earlier reassembly. My eyesight is not what it used to be lol. But i strongly feel the car is soon to be on its way to the shop for a better diagnostic. I cringe at the thought of having to take it to our local cadillac shop. A few years ago my mom took it in for the SES light and they told her there was a problem with the transmission. It was the p0741/p1860 issue. she was told there was no fix but to change entire transmission $4800.00. She called me in a panic and said the dealer had told her the extended warranty had expired. They also told her she could not take the car from their shop untill it was fixed as it was a safety issue. I went to the shop and all this was explained to me as well. I went and got the warranty info out of the glovebox and looked at the mileage on the car. The warranty was not expired. still had a little over 500 miles on it. Showed this to the general manager and told him we would take the new transmission he insisted we needed. He then told us we couldnt get a new transmission from warranty. they would just fix the old one. and the fix worked just fine. but i have no trust in taking the car back to them for anything. I hope that i might be able to take it to the Chevrolet dealer and get a diagnostic on it from them. It will be next week at the earliest before i will have another chance to get hands on with the car again. Maybe i will have thought of or learned something new before then.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Smile Car is fixed

I finally got the time to get back to working on the car. I ended up going back into the transmission. Discovered that the metal rod hooked to the gear selector was not engaging that big switch assembly that is mounted on top of the valve body. That is apparently why the dash indicator showed it was in park while we were driving. Hooked it up properly and the car is now shifting fine. Not really sure at this point whether it was actually a bad solenoid or rat chewed wires that started this adventure. But at this point i only care that it is fixed.
This forum is full of good information and i dont think i could have come to a successful conclusion without it. I think i may hang out here awhile if you guys dont mind. Thnx for all your help. you saved me a bundle.

p.s. the car is now showing no codes. so i assume i must have inadvertently triggered them while troubleshooting.