1999 Cadillac STS, transmission & hidden main sump drain plug

Old 09-01-2009, 04:06 PM

Hi guys, ok im just in from outside. did a fluid,filter,gasket change today. This is what im up with. Upon draining i removed pan and to me i believe there was minor debri in pan, one section thats it. Magnet had this like silver cake material on it. I have took some pics if anyone wants to see. I wanted to note that i did not pull the hidden plug on the side...I did this on purpose as to slowly introduce the new fluid into the tranny then maybe in about a month or two, change it again, and pull the plug...please post any replies or input. I can say upon starting up and shifting into gears it was alomst if the car was BRAND NEW!! lol. now after a few test runs it did seem to harshen up a bit..very minor. but in all i think it was succesfull and hope all stays well into future here.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Tech Certified Members

lucas, lucas, lucas ! i didnt see that mentioned
rickyd

Old 09-08-2009, 10:14 PM

what kind of lucas do you recomend?

Old 09-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Tech Certified Members

get the bottle that is white and says lucas transmision fluid. it will say on the bottle it will stop leaks help shift firmer etc. Cant miss it it will be in the same section where you would get octane boost, powersteering, brakefluid,and oil treatments. if not ask the sales clerk they will know. its like $12-$13 for the bottle. i just put some in a couple of weeks ago and have already noticed some improved shifts. it was a lil slow on shifting at times and now its more dead on. Great stuff, you can also get the oil treatment by lucas which helps on cold starts and keeps the top part of the engine better lubricated.

Last edited by 92_Daddylac; 09-09-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by 99STSGUY
Hi guys, ok im just in from outside. did a fluid,filter,gasket change today. This is what im up with. Upon draining i removed pan and to me i believe there was minor debri in pan, one section thats it. Magnet had this like silver cake material on it. I have took some pics if anyone wants to see. I wanted to note that i did not pull the hidden plug on the side...I did this on purpose as to slowly introduce the new fluid into the tranny then maybe in about a month or two, change it again, and pull the plug...please post any replies or input. I can say upon starting up and shifting into gears it was almost if the car was BRAND NEW!! lol. now after a few test runs it did seem to harshen up a bit..very minor. but in all i think it was successful and hope all stays well into future here.

post the picture. how much silver metal are we looking at?

yes, re-service again in about 1,000 miles; dont forget to add LUCAS again.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:53 PM

Heres a pic of mag/pan. I put 500 miles since change, shifts are still kinda same-bit firm or not as smooth if you will. but the transition from N to D drive very very smooth. but D to N kinda rough...anyway i will get the lucas in absolutely. I saw two of them one was one mentioned above and the other lucas which said to use if tranny was in operating order meaning no slippage or leaks. was like dollar less it said did almost same as other one, renews fluid, clutches, conditions, shifts..etc..not geared toward slippage or leaks thou..any experience with that?

Attached Thumbnails 1999 Cadillac STS, transmission & hidden main sump drain plug-dscf1782.jpg   1999 Cadillac STS, transmission & hidden main sump drain plug-dscf1789.jpg  
Old 09-13-2009, 07:12 AM
Tech Certified Members

Heres a pic of mag/pan. I put 500 miles since change, shifts are still kinda same-bit firm or not as smooth if you will. but the transition from N to D drive very very smooth. but D to N kinda rough...anyway i will get the lucas in absolutely. I saw two of them one was one mentioned above and the other lucas which said to use if tranny was in operating order meaning no slippage or leaks. was like dollar less it said did almost same as other one, renews fluid, clutches, conditions, shifts..etc..not geared toward slippage or leaks thou..any experience with that?
considering the miles on your sts 99, i'd use the lucas mentioned above. spend the extra buck....XD imo things look pretty norm.... (pics)

rickyd

Old 10-11-2009, 04:15 PM

Just about ready in a few days do fluid change again, Just vaguely remember, can anyone shed some light on where to find that "internal drain plug" If someone has a pic it'd be great! thanks

Old 10-12-2009, 01:02 AM
Tech Certified Members

Just about ready in a few days do fluid change again, Just vaguely remember, can anyone shed some light on where to find that "internal drain plug" If someone has a pic it'd be great! thanks
if your talkin trans 99, i took old fluid out thru the dip stick sleeve. a little pump, or a baster type thing with a long small rubber hose. havent found a "internal plug" ....dont think there is one, and have not looked... if you know of one, pass it on. Lucas er up my friend. hows it goin for you?
rickyd

Last edited by rickyd; 10-12-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:06 AM
Tech Certified Members

This is an old thread, but for those who want to know, the main sump drain plug is over by the shift linkage(driver side) side of the trans. It is visible with the lower pan removed. It takes a 7/16" socket...just a regular 1/8" pipe plug. I can get a pic and post it later...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 Cadillac STS, transmission & hidden main sump drain plug