1999 Cadillac STS, transmission & hidden main sump drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Default 1999 Cadillac STS, transmission & hidden main sump drain plug

Hey guys, i guess im in the "majority" of the thread millage bracket. I have a 99 STS with a 152K on it. Pretty meticulous about it oil every 3K on dot, other stuff of course as well. Im thinking i want to take it 200K, then looking a "V" anybody any suggestions? or tips along the way.Did want to mention if any one had any tranny problems? i bought it with 100K and never changed fluid cause too many horror stories now i definitely afraid to change it, so has any one driven there northstar WITHOUT changing transmission fluid??
Thanks 4 input

==========
Copy from the 1M miles thread

Last edited by Stealth; 04-29-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 99STSGUY
Hey guys, i guess im in the "majority" of the thread millage bracket. I have a 99 STS with a 152K on it. Pretty meticulous about it oil every 3K on dot, other stuff of course as well. Im thinking i want to take it 200K, then looking a "V" anybody any suggestions? or tips along the way.Did want to mention if any one had any tranny problems? i bought it with 100K and never changed fluid cause too many horror stories now i definitely afraid to change it, so has any one driven there northstar WITHOUT changing transmission fluid??
Thanks 4 input

==========
Copy from the 1M miles thread

Not a good idea. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a transmission service, in fact at 150,000 I highly suggest that you do it ASAP .. the risk is in a FLUSH .. I dont do FLUSHES.

At that mileage (over 75,000 miles), I add a bottle of LUCAS, run it for a week, then I just drain system, install new filter and gasket, pour a new bottle of LUCAS and then fill the system with trans fluid.

As to the "V" .. I love the STS-V .. and the CTS-V

Last edited by Stealth; 04-29-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Tech Certified Members

as a owner of the same..... i agree with mr stealth...... and have done the same with mine, lucas and all. it sure wont do any harm.
rickyd

Old 05-12-2009, 10:57 AM

Ok great guys thanks for advice. I was just thinking yous were saying to add a bottle of lucas...do i just put that in there as of current level now, thinknig it will be slightly overfilled.? Aslo on the drain (i have never done any tranny service before) i didnt see a drain plug under there if i remember, so im guessing i just crack bolts lower slowy and let most drain out first. As for refill do you guys use the Dexron 3 or so called fluid?

Old 05-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Certified Members

if i remember thur the dip stick the old was sucked out... and the lucas was added. no drain plug on a trans
rickyd

Old 05-12-2009, 11:20 AM

ok thats fine, and about how many quarts of tranny fluid usually go on just filter and fluid replace on these?

Old 05-12-2009, 11:14 PM

Sh*t guys, i just checked my fluid a little bit ago to see color smell etc...i dont think this is good but it smells like burnt..burning, burnt rubber etc....and color very brown. I kno this cant be good i did a little research earlier but not sure wheather they say to just leave it alone once it reches this stage or what...if i read right, with the tranny fluid burning up or so can that cause the temp gauge to move ever so slightly past half way. I know its not the coolant system or radiator all thats new hoses new fluid changed lesss than month ago. im just thinking tranny fluid is so hot going into radiator that the coolant is trying to keep up cooling it down. any input and experience from all over is much apprecaited.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:14 PM

ok wanted some opinions here, i know everyone likes to read but some input is appreceiated greatly. Ok before changing my fluid i drove into a tranny shop and had them look it over as its higher miles. The trany guys test drove and told me the car is "double engageing" when put from P to D or P to R or R to D..etc... Also they noted a sluggish shift from 1st to 2nd.. Both of these factors are true and been experiencing them for past few months (didnt think that big issue). Checked tranny for codees...no history or current. After checking the fluid its definatley burnt and brown. They recommend i did not change it and to consider having the tranny overhauled before futhur problems. What kind of input does anyone have/experience..etc.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Tech Certified Members

I suggest to remove pan and check for debris -little or none - re-install and with new fluid. See what happens. A lot of debris internal repairs are required. If shop is pushing to O/H then get second opinion before authorizing trans teardown.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Certified Members

and new filter ...

Quick Reply: 1999 Cadillac STS, transmission & hidden main sump drain plug