1995 Cadillac STS Transmission or Solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Default 1995 Cadillac STS Transmission or Solenoid?

My fiance and I havea 1995 Cadillac STS. The car is fine to drive around town but when we get on the highway and reach about 50-55 mph, the rpm's drop, the "check engine" light comes on, and if yougo to push on the gas, it's like you are in neutral. We pulled off the side of the road, cut the car off, started it back up, continued, and once we reached 50-55 again, the same thing happened. I was told by one person it is the shift solenoid and was told by another that it needs a new transmission because it sounds like 4th gear is shot to hell. I read online that one gentleman replaced his transmission two times to find out it was the shift solenoid. I don't want to go and spend the money on a couple grand transmission, if it is a $100 solenoid problem. Could someone please help? Thanks ahead of time.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1995 Cadillac STS Transmission or Solenoid?

Very good question.

Either issue ,4th band or broken shift solenoid, could cause this problem.
Like you mention there is no point in replacing the whole unitwhen a much smaller repair will fix the problem.

Now my advice to customers in your situation:
Your year model is known to have problems with shift solenoids.
It's about a $400 repair. I would like to removethe trans pan and inspect the solenoids.
At the same time i will be able to see if there is a large amount of clutch or band material in the pan that might indicate additional problems.

If the solenoids are broken, the inside of the pan is clean and the fluid does not look burnt then i can proceed with the repair.
If it looksbad in there i may suggest you consider a rebuild or reman unit.
In either case i cannot predict that everything else is working properly until the solenoid problem is corrected.
Any other questions, feel free to ask.

BTW
I read online that one gentleman replaced his transmission two times to find out it was the shift solenoid.
The solenoids are in the tranny, i find this hard to believe. Be careful of this source.