1992 cadillac deville tranny slipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Default 1992 cadillac deville tranny slipping

Today the wife tells me the car doesn't take off to well. Engine revs and take awhile for it to get going.
So, I take a look at it. It was about a half quart low on tranny fluid. Filled it and still the same thing.
Pulled the codes. Check light was on.
e40 power steering pressure (PSP) switch fault (open).
e90 Torque Converter clutch (TCC) brake switch fault.
being that it seems to work fine in reverse just doesn't want to do much going forward.
The only thing I could find in this cheap haynes manuel was the Vacuum Modulator that may have something to do with the tranny slipping.
I dont have a vacuum gage at the momment.
specs on the car 1992 Cadillac Devile.
4.9 engine. transaxle 4T60-E

Please help me out. We just got the car about a month ago with 84K on the odometer. Very nice car. I must say.
Any info would be greatly appropriated.
Thanks,
Mike

Old 02-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mnmstoy
Today the wife tells me the car doesn't take off to well. Engine revs and take awhile for it to get going.
So, I take a look at it. It was about a half quart low on tranny fluid. Filled it and still the same thing.
Pulled the codes. Check light was on.
e40 power steering pressure (PSP) switch fault (open).
e90 Torque Converter clutch (TCC) brake switch fault.
being that it seems to work fine in reverse just doesn't want to do much going forward.
The only thing I could find in this cheap haynes manuel was the Vacuum Modulator that may have something to do with the tranny slipping.
I dont have a vacuum gage at the momment.
specs on the car 1992 Cadillac Devile.
4.9 engine. transaxle 4T60-E

Please help me out. We just got the car about a month ago with 84K on the odometer. Very nice car. I must say.
Any info would be greatly appropriated.
Thanks,
Mike
sounds like a solenoid is not doing its job .. but why?

i wish i could help here .. all i can say is PARK IT until you find the problem.
IF you drive it with a slipping transmission, you WILL have a total transmission failure and that is EXPENSIVE.

hopefully a TECH will chime in and help.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:08 PM

Trust me I have it parked.
I'm going to remove the part i mentioned above and check into that. I did notice the small rubber vacuum tube was bridle so maybe air was getting in through the vacuum module.
Mike

Old 02-24-2009, 04:23 PM

well it was not the vacuum moduleater. It checked out ok. But I replaced it anyway just for peace of mind. It came with the hose and "o" ring I needed anyway.
I drove it around the block today.
I put it in "D 1" and it takes off fine. I manuel shift the gears.
But, trying to take off in "D" just feels really sluggish like the tranny is slipping.
Anyone know what " Torque Converter clutch (TCC) brake switch fault." is and were I can find it?
If I give a burst of gas with the foot pedal. It feels like it wants to take off but noses over within a foot.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:37 PM

Ok changed out the filter and fuild in the tranny....still acting the same.
I cleared the codes and get E40,E52(battery disconnected yesterday) EE40
I got it up to 60mph and that is when the check engine soon came on.
Sunday, I'm going to take it to my Mechanics tranny guy this Sunday and I will report back.
Post up if you think you may know what may be up.
Mike

Old 02-25-2009, 05:33 PM

it drives fine in manual but not in drive range, sounds to me like the one way forward clutch is going out. Probley looking at a rebuild.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:18 PM

I found a used tranny for $200 on CG today. with a 30 day warranty. The car had 110K.
I'm going to go that route...way cheaper the $1K. I'll get my buddies tranny man to give it a once over and maybe barder on my old one for a discount.
Mike

Old 03-02-2009, 09:37 AM

well. damn!!!!!!!!!!!
It's not the tranny. The new one does the same thing.
Maybe it's in my head. It just doesn't have the take off my V6 auto chevy has or my little 20R toyota. The cadilllac has a V8 and should atleast get out of it's own way.
I mean it shifts like it should. but it is just lacking take off. The engine is revving up but it takes alot more then normal pedal to get her going.
Brakes are fine although I do have a anti lock light check light on. But that has been on sense I bought it.

I did find vacuum line leak and repaired it. Location is by the tranny dip-stick on top. small diameter plastic line. That could of happened when I removed the tranny....or installing it.
The only code I have is E52 because I disconnected the battery for the tranny swap. That was a full day afar. Never want to do that again.
Like a stated earlier. If I shift it to D1 it takes off like I think it should.
But, having it on "D" it lacks in take off. Lots of grunt until I get around 20MPH. anythiing above that and it feels normal. No hard shifting.

I did install the new vacuum modulator off my old tranny. I'm going to put the original one back on and see if that fixes it. The old one checked out fine. But decided to replace it sense it was only $15. The only thing I didn't like about the new one was you had to adjust it for your make and model. Maybe just maybe I screwed up. I'm hoping I did.

Would one think maybe a clogged Cadillac converter?
But why would it work fine in "D1" and 20+ and beyond?

Last edited by mnmstoy; 03-02-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:05 PM

I still get code
E40
E52
EE40
and service engine light came on on the hwy today.
I'll keep you post in my findings later on today or tomorrow.
Mike

Old 03-02-2009, 08:10 PM

I'm stumped for now. Tranny guys says it's not the tranny. Something about computer are something else not making it take off normal.
It works fine in reverse with power and all. Just does not want to take off in drive the same as reverse.
Mike

Quick Reply: 1992 cadillac deville tranny slipping