'04 CTS (problems when shifting) also posted in CTS section

Old 10-24-2007, 12:39 PM
Default '04 CTS (problems when shifting) also posted in CTS section

problem with the button on the gear shifter sticking. It just won't let me push the button in when it is in park sometimes. Not major problems.

I started hearing a funny sound a couple days ago.

I have noticed a change in the shifting patterns over the last couple weeks (Longer intervals between shifts, a small decrease in acceleration and a little lunge when it shifts in all gears). I am not a race car driver and most of my miles are in the city. I had taken it on a road trip and was told by one of my friends that it may have caused the computer to change my shifting points. I don't know if there is any truth to that statement... but I trust the guy.

Two days ago I started hearing a noise between shifts. It sounds like it could be grinding a little bit between gears 2-3 (might be 3-4). Maybe 45mph. I made an appointment at the dealeship immediately.
They called yesterday afternoon and told me to pick up my car... nothing wrong with the transmission. I was told that the computer didn't show any codes and that they couldn't reproduce the problem... which is funny because it's still happening when I drive.

I have done some reading and have heard that there are a lot of problems with differentials in the rear and have heard a couple stories of solenoids causing problems. Are either of them likely to cause my problems? Are there any other common problems that might cause the symptoms? Is it safe to drive?

Thanks for taking the time to read the post.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: '04 CTS (problems when shifting) also posted in CTS section

lstone......welcome to the Forum....... the Techs on this forum will be better able to help you, however the button that is inop?..... what is that button for?...sport shift? that might give you a longer interval shift patteren... anyway, im sure one of the techs will respond soon..... have you been to member introduction?
that helps get response with your problem.......again welcome and good luck....have some fun in the Forum
rickyd

Old 10-24-2007, 09:03 PM

Thanks for responding.

It's the actual button on my shift ****. The tech showed me how to lift the little leather piece and release it. Never been a major problem though.
My big concern is with the new grinding or slipping sound when the car is in the process of shifting. It isn't very loud... but it hasn't always been there.
Do you think I could getone of the techs to ride along with me so I can point out the problem?

Old 03-11-2008, 11:46 AM

Istone, did you get a response that deals with the point you made about the differential and the solenoids? I just picked up an '04 CTS Sport and I'm hearing a grinding/rattling sound that could be from the rear, when I accelerate from a standstill or high acceleration from moderate speeds.