Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

Performance Rebuild? High quality parts for northstar.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Default Performance Rebuild? High quality parts for northstar.

I have a 97 Cadillac Deville, and mostly likely going with a re-manufactured Northstar. since the rebuild seems likely to fail unless you have a good mechanic with Northstar experience.

My mechanic is highly experienced with subaru 20+ years lots of rebuilds. Hes actually willing to undertake the rebuild of the northstar even though the only thing he really knows is its close 60 hours. somewhere in the neighborhood of $3500 dollars labor at $60 an hour. Now, i don't doubt his abilities.

But, I'd like to know what the benefits would be of having a custom rebuild as appose to buying a remanufactured one. I'll make a quick pros and cons of my thoughts and feelings on the issue.

Remanufactured pros:

warranty
highly quality machines used to clean and hone check everything.

remanufactured cons

total cost. around 3600 dollars and 4000+ if your core is not reuseable.
no performance parts, or highly quality assurance.

Rebuild pros.

low cost of rebuild since i've already invested $1500 dollars in mechanic.
low cost on parts, since i have someone who owes me a ton of money and he can get the parts for me at little or no cost. but, they have to be from napa.

I can order or pay extra for anything that should be upgraded.

I read that the newer northstars have steel crank shafts. which would be a great upgrade since the rebuild will already be taking place. but, i know nothing about what performance and simply upgraded parts are available. Anyone actually look into some alternative metal which is less corrosive which could be used for the gaskets. I don't know, i might be talking about something i know nothing about. but, I'd like everything possible to be made of steel or metal not plastic. like i found my heater core to have plastic end connectors which broke off. the new heater core was all metal. I'm sure there are lots of parts that are crap. because they wanted to save money. my problem is how do you find them until they're actually broken.

I've read about northstars being used in hot rods and dune buggys what kind of parts do you guys know of that have been used so theses engines can perform and last under such harsh conditions. Surely, some type of modifacations are being made. And, is some of kind of trade secret. I just don't see theses stock northstars being used that way with such high rates of failure do to bad gaskets.

I'd also like to add some other thoughts. Like an alternative to dexcool. If the coolant is the problem why can't we find some alternative. No matter the cost!! if it cost 1000 dollars for some type of space age coolant. its most likely worth it, lol. I want better coolant if i buy a brand new northstar and i will search high and low until i fully understand the working of the cooling system. Key points being better metal mixture for gaskets, and higher quality coolant. NO MATTER THE COSTS!

I even read something about a northstar in a marine/boat application.. Now thats just nuts.. There's something going on that the end consumer doesn't get. This forum doesn't seem very advanced. I'm looking to theses applications to see what they've done, and i'll report my findings. Please, don't be offended it looks like theres not much available, (some kind of trade secret as i suggested).

Just some random thoughts no more then a couple hours of reviewing posts. It seems that the oil, coolant and possibly low quality fuel contributes to the demise of theses great engines.

1. What type of additives are available? are tested, safe and show benefit of being used.

2. I'd like to stay far and clear away from the quote "EVIL" dex-cool. kills cooling systems and engines. Maybe its not a name brand cooling product we are looking for , maybe its something nasa uses.

3. I've considering a rebuild of the transmission , and only using some kind of top quality transmission fluid.. there has to be something anyone want to add a comment. remember, if it costs $1000 dollars to fill your brand new $3000 transmission with high quality fluid its probably worth it. the probably is everyones fluid or product is the best.. This one is the best dex cool// mobile 1 oil/ etc..

4. what if its that the engine is a prefect example of high quality engineering. And the products that are being put into the engine are garbage and whatever is considered the best. because, up for sale to the highest bidder. Are we not knowing what should actually be used with todays technologies? They can grow human organs in a lab. But, we can't get something that won't eat metal. Working as a coolant, maybe theres something organic that could be used. like the additives aren't they made of ginger. maybe theres something that will eat the stuff that makes it so corrosive.

Rebuild cons.

mechanic with 20+ years certified lots of subaru rebuild experience. Although, never touched a northstar rebuild. But, With your guys help i'd like some detailed information on what are the best techniques and parts to use.

I'm sure he'd do the best job he can, but i wonder how much difference it makes to have a super clean remanufactured northstar. I'm sure he'd would clean it. but, i know it wouldn't ever be as close to whats being done with remanufacturing at the big companies with high cost machines and honing boring everything else you could imagine.

what do you guys think, i would only have to invest another $1500-2000 with my mechanic do get him rebuild. any part from napa would basically be money owed which i don't really have to spend.

I'd really like your guys ideas on performance and upgrade parts. anything steel/metal on theses things would be great. Can I get my rebuild to be better then what a remanufactured engine would be if i used top of the line rebuild parts and upgrades?