Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

Performance Rebuild? High quality parts for northstar.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Default RE: Performance Rebuild? High quality parts for northstar.

Your right about this forum being the best. The problem is nobody is actually addressing the dexcool issue. What is the safe alternative? And where are the upgraded parts for rebuild? All I'm saying is that there has to be more information when theses engines are being used in so many applications. dune buggy, marine, aviation. Unless, they're so great they're being used stock with no upgrades. That would be amazing.

I never blamed gm for making a bad engine. I blame them for selling out to the highest bidder. When they found out that dex cool was not compatible with nylon 6/6. thats just bad business on there part for not doing their own research on what should be used with in their system. They said it took millions of dollars just to find out dex cool wasn't compatible. Are you kidding me?

I'd never buy a car from japan. Germany and Sweden make volvo or mecerdes. I think they're great cars. But, i'm still fully behind gm cars.

I'm sorry if i offend people. I have a tenancy towards that. All forums are basically the same. You have to do some serious searching 5-10 hours. I've only done a couple hours. I get upset too when something has been stressed over and over. I am sorry if this has already been talked about.

Basically i'm asking for something better then dex-cool and a highly quality transmission fluid, something top shelf maybe what nascar or even nasa uses. LOL..

And anything that can be upgrade or should be upgraded. Like my heater cores end connectors being made of plastic and failing. When i got the new one it was all metal. Whats the deal with that? Why on earth would that do that? If only we knew what other parts are garbage..

Old 01-14-2008, 01:57 PM

I may have founds a good alternative still doing research. Anyone know anything about evans npg? looks like its about $30 dollars a gallon. But, promises alot. has anyone tried this? I wonder if it has any problems with nylon 6/6.

I still need to replace all my coolant parts. Any ideas where i should start raditor heater core hoses gaskets. whatelse?

If i get a remanufactured engine costing me over $3600.. I really want to be sure that every fluid that goes into this beast is top shelf.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:17 AM

IMHO.If you are going to replace the motor with a reman, might as well inspect the cooling components with it pulled out. Seems to me it would be easier and little more room. Still, I would defintely make sure what the real problem is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze
This link and the Homesite for Evans is all I can find right now for actual comparing.

HTH

Old 02-02-2008, 09:55 PM

ORIGINAL: infowarrior

I may have founds a good alternative still doing research. Anyone know anything about evans npg? looks like its about $30 dollars a gallon. But, promises alot. has anyone tried this? I wonder if it has any problems with nylon 6/6.

I still need to replace all my coolant parts. Any ideas where i should start raditor heater core hoses gaskets. whatelse?

If i get a remanufactured engine costing me over $3600.. I really want to be sure that every fluid that goes into this beast is top shelf.
DUDE it's like this...

YOU ARE BASHING DEXCOOL and DEXCOOL is fine....todays DexCool has no problems.

DeCool is like any other coolant, and it can and WILL wear out. DexCool is made for long term use, and especially in engines containing Alum.

If you are that concerned about using DexCool, then either dont use it, and use ole green stuff and watch things degrade faster; or perhaps change your coolant each year with a good flushing; that would be cheaper than an expensive "alternative" coolant wouldnt ya say.

And please remember that you engine be it a Northstar or any other engine is a mechanical device....it is not a ? of will it fail, but WHEN WILL it fail, and it will..no engine lives forever, as well as no part coolant related or otherwise, last forever.

And also, a Northstar is a complex system, and not just the engine (Northstar is a system..engine, trans, computer, etc). By nature a NorthStar is an expensive big boys toy, with expensive repairs. Most all experienced Cadillac owners will tell you "They are expensive for a reason...if you will worry over every repair before you get to it, maybe your not Cadillac Material"

Old 02-02-2008, 10:00 PM

ORIGINAL: infowarrior

I never blamed gm for making a bad engine. I blame them for selling out to the highest bidder. When they found out that dex cool was not compatible with nylon 6/6. thats just bad business on there part for not doing their own research on what should be used with in their system. They said it took millions of dollars just to find out dex cool wasn't compatible. Are you kidding me?

Basically i'm asking for something better then dex-cool and a highly quality transmission fluid, something top shelf maybe what nascar or even nasa uses. LOL..

I think you misinterpreted the test findings they are replacing nylon6/6 components not DexCool!!!

And I truely think you are confusing your not complete facts on OLD DEXCOOL findings and not the newer formual DEXCOOL. (By chance is your brain pan filled with a Cimmaron ECM???)

And as far as Tranny fluid..Amsoil full Synthetic is great!!!!!

Old 02-02-2008, 10:07 PM

Here is something to look at INFO..........

"EVANS lifetime, corrosion free, WATERLESS engine coolants have been proven on professional race circuits and private multi million dollar test tracks, exotic engine dynomometers, and in competition with virtually every major sanctioned body of racing including FORMULA 1, NASCAR, NHRA, SCCA, IMSA, IRL, Grand American, NMCA, ARCA, AMA, WERA, American Lemans, SCORE Off Road, World Rally up, and numerous Boat Racing Venues."

Do you notice the pattern here???? ALL EXOTIC HIGH DOLLAR APPLICATIONS.

Hey by the way we are going to recommend that NO ONE EVER USE CONVENTIONAL OIL OR SYNTHETIC OIL IN AN ENGINE AGAIN....WE HAVE A NEW SUBSTITUTE THAT IS PROVEN TO TOTALLY ELIMINATE 100% of WEAR AND FRICTION....and it only cost $295/quart...so in your N* engine you will need to spend $2360 per oil change....

This sounds outragous, but it proves a point....to anything there is a cost effectiveness factor. A good maintenance program, and Recomended coolants and supplements will far outweigh and outperform an exotic replacement dollar for dollar.