Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

Northstar head gasket fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:30 AM
Default Northstar head gasket fix

I wanted to share my experience with my 97 Deville head gasket problem that was resolved beautifully recently. After much careful research and extensive testing, all signs indicated head gasket failure at 142,000 miles. Oil changes every 3,000 matters not on a Northstar. Considered scrapping the car but she's a real cherry Deville and everything I looked at to replace it was much higher than the repair but now the real test. In upstate NY, where do I find anybody that knows about and will touch timeserts or studs? Right in Rochester I found a 20 year Cadillac man with his own shop doing just that - timeserts for the Northstar !!! Scott Spade of ROC City Auto Service in Rochester answers his own phone almost every time and returns the call right away if he misses you. He took very careful care of my baby and got it back to me in a few days with new oil, new coolant, new power steering fluid and new cam cover gaskets too. I opted for a water pump while the cradle was down and the old one already off the car. Scott installed it for the cost of the pump. The only minor issue experienced was the AC did not work when I picked it up. Scott and his high-end scanner found a high-resistance connection within 5 minutes and had the AC back up in a flash. I can tell you it's priceless to find a real quality Cadillac man in his own shop at small shop prices and not Cadillac dealer prices. I now have a bit over 1,000 miles on the new build and am feeling like I'm driving a brand new Cadillac. If you happen to read this Scott, thank you so much for my new 97.