Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

need advise with GM Cadillac Northstar blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 03:13 PM

Thanks, Stomper and Stealth! I will check out the FAQs you've sent me to. I know it may not last forever, but for about another $100, another year or two of use is a lot better than giving this car away at a big ol' loss.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Default FAQ isn't helping me

Stomper and Stealth, I've tried checking FAQ for the information you suggested. I can't get anything. I tried searching keywords from your advice, and I keep getting the message that no match was found. I've checked FAQ categories. I've been looking for almost an hour and found nothing. How do I actually get to the information you've recommended? I appreciate the help, but I must be not very capable with this.

Thanks!

Old 08-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Tech Certified Members

its confusing .. not the FAQ Menu .. the FAQ section ...

FAQ - Cadillac Forum - Enthusiast forums for Cadillac Owners

Old 08-05-2011, 01:32 AM
Tech Certified Members

Thanx stomper and stealth for popping in i didnt even think about the FAQ section. Hope everything works out for you too Overmyhead. I have heard any claims of this fix in a bottle and there are you tube videos of actuall people trying these products out. So let us know if you use this stuff and keep us posted on how long this stuff lasts. Im gona try this on the donor cady as well to see what the outcome is and hopefully see how long it works too. Since im buying the car for a few hundred buck im gona put it through some rigorous tests . Just too see what the limits are. Sounds mean but i think if it handles some hard driving then it should be good for normal driving and last for a few years. I also saw a video a couple years back where a guy added steel seal to his coolant before he had gasket issues to help as a preventative measure. So this might be something that really works and because of all the other things out there that claim to fix things and never really do what they say most of us assume this stuff is just another scam.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Default Thanks for link!

Stomper, thanks for the link to the FAQ section. I'm not sure how else I would have gotten there! I've read over a bunch of the information there--looks like something for me to have my brother-in-law look over. I can do the normal checks on cars--use all the dip sticks, replace fluids, and change the air filter--even jump one off if I have to. On one car I had, I even learned to pour gas directly into the carb. to get it started. Beyond that, I need to yell for help. (Although I think this site is pulling me along pretty well for someone with no mechanical knowledge.) With this cadillac, I couldn't even find the battery! Had to use the owners manual for that--I guess I shouldn't have laughed at the guys who had to use the owners manual to change a flat tire back in college! I appreciate everyone here being so helpful!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Default Hope this fix is enough

Daddylac, I hope this steel seal is enough. The fella who had called me with the offer to fix my car called back this morning. He says he uses 3 different products to complete the seal. He also warned that if you don't bypass the computer chip related to the problem that the car will still overheat and have the same problem again. He says that the third product he runs through the car is not even available for purchase on line because it is too dangerous. Said a splash got onto his arm one time and caused an immediate serious chemical burn. But the info on line about steel seal says it's guaranteed for life, so I'm still trying it. My steel seal was delivered yesterday. Now I just have to find a time when my brother-in-law can help get it into the car. Will get right back to you as soon as it's up and running--or if I give up on getting it up and running! Hopefully you'll get good news from me.

I think the fella calling me is on the up-and-up. When I told him my brother-in-law was going to fix the car, he started telling me the parts he should put in--he was thinking of a traditional repair. He said my brother-in-law could call him and he'd be glad to tell him just how to fix it--no charge.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Tech Certified Members

i find it strange this guy says to reset the computer chip. last i knew was in 96 and newer cadillacs they didnt use an Eprom chip like they did in earleir models. Im pretty sure you will be fine just doing the steel seal treatment and be on your way sounds like this guy is trying to use this computer chip reset as a way to make you think he is the only guy to fix this issue. if you want to reset the computer disconect the battery for about an hour and reconnect it and your set. Well hope to see what your outcome is an hop all goes well

Old 07-21-2012, 03:44 PM

i have caddilac sts im parting out, it has a smoth running engine and trans and it is the north star i wouold sell the whole car for around 2000 or i woupls just sell what ever you needed, thanks...1-849-432-0571...daveycara@gmail.com

Old 08-05-2012, 12:16 AM

You might want to google "northstar head gasket repair". There are many shops in the US that specialize in "time serts" and "studs" that are permanent northstar head gasket repairs - that's permanent !!! There's Jake in Canada and Scott Spade in Rochester and Dale in Ohio all between $1500 and $2500 for the complete lifetime job done right the first time. These engines can be permanently harmed by liquid fixes and you can call the shops I pointed out and get more info on that method. They all have web sites and I'm about to deliver my 1997 Deville to Scott at roccityauto.com Tuesday for the $2500 full job including engine R and R in a few days. There are even a couple of shops that offer 24 hour turn around but they're not close enough for me to use my 100 mile AAA towing for.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:56 PM

There are two types of the Northstar engine, ones with bad head gaskets and ones that are going to have bad head gaskets. If you buy a used engine chances are very high it will have or soon have the same problem. The sealant you refer to is a one in a million fix. Once you put this in your engine a mechanic wont touch it. Replace your gaskets with the new stud kit from Northstar Performance and your problems will be over. Yes, its costly but it works. Let me know if you still want to sell your car, would like to know how many miles are on it and your location. Thanks and good luck

Quick Reply: need advise with GM Cadillac Northstar blown head gasket