Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

My beautiful ETC has blown up

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Default My beautiful ETC has blown up

Greetings and salutations, as I am a newbie to this I will try not to be a pain. Heres the scooby on my 99 ETC. Riding down the interstate, everything fine then a Pop and it cuts out with a cloud of smoke and steam out the back. Towed it home one side of the radiator was blown out...and I mean peeled back blown out. I am a fairly capable mechanic. So I am weighing my options...rebuild, buy a long block or replace with used. Right now my finaces require replace with used. So to the point. I have a "9" vin code engine. What years of that engine with the "9" vin will work with my 99 ETC. Thanks in advance of all your sage advice.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:54 AM

Just to clarify, you're saying your radiator blew up? Or the engine? If it's the radiator, you can buy a remanufactured one for less than $200. AND, you need to find out why it blew. Check to see whether the water pump and/or thermostat needs replacing. I used to own a 1989 Cadillac Sedan Deville, my radiator blew also, needing a new one AND thermostat replaced.

If it is the engine, you can check with Jasper Engines. They sell a whole line of engines for most cars, and will arrange installation.

TS

Old 10-28-2013, 04:48 PM

sorry for the confusion...It was the radiator. To be more specific, there was a loud pop (dicative of a broken chain) then an instant shut down with a puff of smoke out the back. the insuing crank of the engine was very fast and high pictched as if the valve train had become detached. I havent touched it since ive gotten it home, but Im pretty sure I have broken something in the engine. Thus the question. Thank you for the reply and my apologizes for not being more specific. My concern has now turned to replacing the engine. I am looking for options. Reman verses used ect ect and ANY input on this matter is greatly appreciated.....greatly!!!

Last edited by Rescueranger1; 10-28-2013 at 04:50 PM. Reason: wasnt finished
Old 10-30-2013, 09:24 AM

Try Jasper Engines. You can find prices on remanufactured engines, and find an installer near you.

TS

Old 11-02-2013, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rescueranger1
sorry for the confusion...It was the radiator. To be more specific, there was a loud pop (dicative of a broken chain) then an instant shut down with a puff of smoke out the back. the insuing crank of the engine was very fast and high pictched as if the valve train had become detached. I havent touched it since ive gotten it home, but Im pretty sure I have broken something in the engine. Thus the question. Thank you for the reply and my apologizes for not being more specific. My concern has now turned to replacing the engine. I am looking for options. Reman verses used ect ect and ANY input on this matter is greatly appreciated.....greatly!!!
check the engine before issuing a death sentence on it ...

i have had both radiators and water pumps blow out with pieces coming apart and even damaging other things in the engine compartment .. the engines lived through it just fine ...