Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

GM Cadillac Northstar engine features & issues, coolant system protection

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Default GM Cadillac Northstar engine features & issues, coolant system protection

I have a problem with my Seville, too. I'm not sure is that a problem. Last time I was climbing a long hill (about 7-8 miles) and the gearbox was in "2" position and the coolant temperature gone higher than usually is. There was not any information on the board computer. So probably temaperature wasn't very high. But could You tell me is it normal in Seville STS 2000?

PS. Sorry for my english, I'm writing from Poland

----
modedittitle

Last edited by Stealth; 03-15-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:25 AM
Tech Certified Members

if you happen to be goin uphill and in second the hill being 7-8miles long will cause it to get a little warmer. Usualy the needle on the gage will run at 12 o'clock. If it moves over about 2cm towards the hot side and goes back to 12 o'clock its normal. if it hasnt done it since then you are ok. also was the A/C on? that will also generate more of a load on the engine too and make it easier for the car to get warmer.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:43 AM

A/C was on
it went not more than 4mm from 12 o'clock, after climbing gone back

it is also usually hapens when i'm riding in a heavy traffic jam

Old 08-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Certified Members

your ok then thats normal. if it goes past that and goes further then you will see problems. THats good you ask though just make sure you do your maintenance as far as flushing cooling system every other year.to keep thing clean.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:13 PM

I checked coolant level and it is ok. But I got to know that in my cooling system is clean water. Now, I want to change for GM coolant and than should be everything OK.
I asked because earlier I had a BMW that is very delicate for cooling problems.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by Kucharz
I checked coolant level and it is ok. But I got to know that in my cooling system is clean water. Now, I want to change for GM coolant and than should be everything OK.
I asked because earlier I had a BMW that is very delicate for cooling problems.

oh no .. correct that immediately

the HEADGASKETS need the protection that the coolant provides .. have you not read all the headgasket failures due to not changing the coolant ? running water is even worse, much worse!

50/50 mix is what the car needs and two years from now repeat as the coolant protection is depleted. in fact, if the car has been running in water for more than a couple of months, you may have a scale problem in the ducts of the system due to oxidation that may well deplete the protection even faster.

remember .. 2000 Cadillac STS headgasket: $3,000

Old 08-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Tech Certified Members

Other possibility is "head gasket in a can" already added....when coolant is added overheating will follow. Antifreeze dissolves the "band-aid". How long have you had car? How did car come to have straight water in cooling system?

Old 08-28-2009, 07:31 AM

I have this STS since 4 weeks.
I'm not sure that is water, but the fluid doesn't have any color. That why I think that is water, of course I would like to know with sure am I right.
There are any other signs of problems with headgaskets.
Before I bought a car it was standing for 3 years in heated garage.

PS. $3000 for the headgasket isn't terrible price.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Tech Certified Members

If 3k+ doesn't scare you, then drain and refill cooling system with coolant. If car starts overheating within 500 km then head gasket has probably failed. If no overheating then "life is good"

Old 08-29-2009, 02:57 PM

probably next week I will do it, we will see

Quick Reply: GM Cadillac Northstar engine features & issues, coolant system protection