Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

GM Cadillac Northstar engine features and issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:10 AM
Default Error codes Po3oo, p1810, and P1350

I just reinstalled mt 1997 4.6 NS after repairing head bolts and head gaskets - big job but went ok until start up. I now have the error codes P0300, p1810, and p1350. The engine runs rough and is making some unusual sounds (form the area of the front of the engine. The over heating problem seems to be gone on the plus side of things but can't run it this way. Any ideas as to what has happened? There was no such problems before I pull the engine. At that time I only redid the head bolts and replace associated gaskets.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:46 AM

I thought I'd put in my two cents. I don't have all the tech knowledge that a lot of you have. But I want to say that I have a '98 Deville Concours that is a few days away from rolling 120 thousand miles. The northstar engine in that car runs like a dream. We don't usually drive it hard, but occasionally we (my sons and I) drive it like we stole it. On the highway it's like driving a sports car. The headbolts never did come loose on it and the engine is 100% trouble free. We absolutely love that car and the engine is the best part of it.

It does consume a small amount of oil and always has. No biggy. The coolant has been changed regularly. I put the dexcool in it, but lately I've been reading bad things about the dexcool. Not sure if I should switch or not.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:50 AM

I am afraid I am going to have to agree I have owned 3 cadillacs and not a single one of them has treated me well. I hate that I love how they look and drive. But in GMC's (generic mechanical crap) deffense look at Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and VW just to name a few and all of those brands have horrific maintainance costs and reliability issues up the you know what. I will never buy a caddy with confidence ever again but I will buy another one some day because they are just so damn pretty

Old 11-01-2011, 11:14 AM

hey buddinator,quick sell it before she rears her ugly head as in OVERHEAT!!YOU have a golden chance to rid of that nasty northstar regardless of interior or pristine body?do it before your stuck with a black banna as we are..

Old 11-01-2011, 11:16 AM

never met anyone claiming to r&r any northstar that actually worked well after install'only a fresh one done buy a rep company that rarely loves northstars??

Old 11-01-2011, 11:24 AM

my only two options ridding of my 1996'fire-engine red eldo/northstar with blown heads and leaking case 1/2 seals is which i do always leave the keys in the ignition for a quick steal and hopefully-roll or a young bozo claiming he can fix it quick and buy it cheap all i'm wanting for it is a mere $1800 or less and it sports 20's with new profiles they alone are $1500. i'm hoping the car is stolen and wrecked/chopshoped the blue-book is $3000 nothing wrong with oops i lt my keys in it..that's why we have ins to cover our asses even if it's neglegence on our part..the beauty is it's still covered i paid for that stupidity!!

Old 11-01-2011, 11:33 AM

if ya love caddies still buy a escalade it has no northstar even the 8v's are REAR-WHEEL DRIVE as meant to be!!!! front wheel drive anything is junk!!!you will forever be replacing cv/units and or boots and or other crap assoc.with that god-awful front wheel drive/sideways mount ****..now that's something the jap/gooks cars have never accomplished yet rolling gear that lasts even 60,000 w/o a problem!!!all honda toyos esp hyundai rolling-gear need attention some as soon as 25000 miles!!thier engines may last 150+ but they have **** for rolling gear!!!

Old 11-03-2011, 01:28 AM

Geez shelonat....I'm starting to think you don't like northstar engines. LOL. I have no intention of getting rid of my awesome car. That old northstar still runs like a dream and goes like crazy. My car is just awesome. Although the front struts are starting to rattle a bit. I'll put in some aftermarket ones and voila....perfect again. If the motor lets go I'll just change it.

I might start looking around for a newer Caddy soon though. I sure love the 2009 and up CTS V. With 556 horsepower. I'm sure that would be enough. LOL. Gorgeous car from every angle and 0 to 60 mph in under 4 seconds. Yeah that's my kind of car.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Default I love Cadillas but...

I want to buy another Cadillac (91 thru 90something Deville) but my last one (95 SLS) had the Northstar and after having the rear main seal replaced $$$ all I could think was that I got a good deal on the car.
I loved that car and still think about it today but it bacame a money pit when the trans started to slip.
I have always been a Corvette guy (since 1976) but lately driving my Vette (which I'll never get rid of) I am starting to feel my age when I keep getting in and out just going to the market or running errands around town.

Now I'm thinking that I should get a Crown Vic or Lincoln.

Again I love Cadillacs but I am no longer in the financial position to run to the dealer or mechanic to shell out money to get her fixed.

Any input or ideas?

Last edited by c5cruiser; 11-16-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:52 AM

I have A 2000 Eldorado with the Northstar that I bought in Sept of 2011 with 85,000 miles. It runs great and uses much less oil since I switched to Mobil-1. Was going through A quart in 900 miles and now with Mobil-1 5w30 it has extended to about 1500 miles per quart. I have had literally no issues with it and have put almost 10,000 miles on it in almost 6 months. I've got to say though, after reading about all the issues evreybodys been having it's starting to scare the crap out of me. I was under the impression that by the year 2000 Cadillac had pretty much worked out all the issues with this engine but from what I've read I guess not. I absolutely love this car and will do whatever I can to keep it running. This might be A taboo subject for Cadillac owners but has any one heard of some one retrofitting another style GM engine or engine / transmission assembly into one of these cars. Please no rock throwing!

Quick Reply: GM Cadillac Northstar engine features and issues