Aluminum Block V8s 4.1, 4.5, 4.6, and 4.9 liter engines.

Campaign 99086 north star engine recall new info

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Default Campaign 99086 north star engine recall new info

I am in the middle of this recall with GM Canada the local caddi dealer as well as Transport Canada. I have a 1999 caddilac Deville and DTS. My vin number is 220 numbers before the actual recall. I got ahold of the technical information to test if my engine is a failure. I did the proceedures and it is a failure. If the bolt height is 21 mm or less while standing in the hole it fails mine is about 20.5 mm.
Transport Canada told me to get the dealer ship to now measure it if it is what I stated it falls within the recall and mine like several others got missed on the vin break. Also he stated there is nothing saying the engines got installed in sequential order. The recall is on the engine not the owner. Maitenance care does not matter because that will not change the fact that the manufacturer improperly drilled the block wrong and knows it. Is there any other members with this problem I would like to here anything on this topic.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Tech Certified Members

The problem is car is not under recall and its 6 yrs out of warranty. Adjustments is which your are discribing are on a case by case basis. The laws in Canada my help you, where as in the US you are most likely out of luck. Manufacturers of anything who have recalls involving production dates or vin breaks are reluctant to open the flood gate of claims unless there is overwelming evidence concern is far wide spread than originally thought. The recall came out in 1999 coolant loss issues would be reported while car was in warranty(48 mo/50k miles), even if not part of recall. I know of a 1 owner and very low mileage car that had a history coolant loss issues while under warranty. The owner did not drive car enough. When external leak occurred again 7 yrs old and under 50k. When block was checked the machining wasn't correct. The suggested repair was to replace engine. When he asked for warranty assistance, he was told he was out of luck, the car was too old. The dealer stepping in got him a little factory participation. Now that the car is 11 years old in the US you are likely out of luck. I am not familiar with diiferences in policys which may exist in Canada. I know this is not what you want to hear, and you can always request help from Cadillac however IF YOU BOUGHT CAR USED don't expect anything (that is a big factor in getting out of warranty adjustments)

Old 07-26-2010, 09:28 PM

Reply for robmcl ...

How are your efforts with the dealer, GM, and Transport Canada going? I just became aware of Campaign 99086, and have started putting out some feelers. I called Cadillac Canada at 888-446-2000, and didn't get too far. The agent I spoke to said that 99086 was just a procedure for identifying the problem, and had nothing to do with GM's commitment to fix it. I plan to discuss it with a local dealership next.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:51 PM

Well in canada we have consumer protection it states if a company makes a product that is proven to be defective it has to be replaced or repaied to the original manufacturer specifications. Also under the goods for sale act it states a product has to be free of defect before it can be sold in Canada. This car has a manufacturer defect and also it is already recognized by GM Canada and was measured and a was placed on a work order. Since GM Canada takes up the theory I won't have enough money to sue them I am getting it repaired by a company that only repairs this problem. Then I will sue them and the closest dealership for the cost in small claims court. It will cost me about $200. GM canada is neglegent is selling this product and putting it in the market place and also neglegent in not letting the original purchaser know of the problem in order to get it rectified. It is a 1999 but the recall was in 2002. It does not matter if I bought is used the problem is with the car not the owner. If any one has more information please share it. especially anything about the canadian law and the items I mentioned above. This company has a lot of suits a ties but ties are to use to put around their necks using the courts.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:39 AM

I subscribed to www.alldata.com to get all the TSB/Recall do***ents related to 99086, as was suggested in another online forum about this "Customer Satisfaction Campaign". Armed with this, I'm going to take another kick at calling the GM hot-line to see how far I get. Failing that I'll try contacting a dealer directly with the TSB/Recall data.

robmcl, I like your approach to slug it out in small claims court. Where are you taking your caddy to get it fixed - is it Northstar Performance in Langton Ontario? I've been contemplating the same thing, possibly even getting my mechanic to drop out the motor, and taking the motor to Northstar Performance on the back of a trailer (a little cheaper that way).

Last edited by rblan_pec; 08-25-2010 at 05:42 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 08-29-2010, 06:41 PM

The only place that can actually fix the Caddi problem is a company near Delhi.
It is calld North Star productions he created a stud ans has a patten on it he gives a 100,000 mile warranty with it. He races a north star engine to prove it. The repair is $2200 and includes mail seals. The problem in this country who wear the suits see no problem with the suits making a defective product fraudulently selling it incorrectly with a defect and not have the ***** to fix it. Sorry but the high and mighty suits bother me.. Just google North star productions or caddi head problems

Old 05-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Default Recall on Caddi head problem

Can someone tell me which Vin's are included in this recall??

Old 05-13-2011, 07:38 PM

Cadillac
Seville
Hamtramck
XU938976
XU940640
Cadillac
DeVille
Hamtramck
XU791675
XU802142