SIMPLE FIX to Bose radio amp problems???

Old 08-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Question SIMPLE FIX to Bose radio amp problems???

I bought 89 Allante 2 days ago, 98,000 miles, in pretty good shape. Door lock/unlock switches sometimes do work, sometimes not. Top pull down motor does not cycle. Radio plays very weak and driver door speaker is quiet.

I expect amplifiers fault. I was told that here is a simple fix (DIY with soldering gun) to those, for which some shops are charging hundreds of $$$. Repair shops tightly guard this secret and make tonnnns of money.

Any hints? Anybody knows?

Old 08-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MRDANGERUS
I bought 89 Allante 2 days ago, 98,000 miles, in pretty good shape. Door lock/unlock switches sometimes do work, sometimes not. Top pull down motor does not cycle. Radio plays very weak and driver door speaker is quiet.

I expect amplifiers fault. I was told that here is a simple fix (DIY with soldering gun) to those, for which some shops are charging hundreds of $$$. Repair shops tightly guard this secret and make tonnnns of money.

Any hints? Anybody knows?

the capacitors burn up cuz BOSE used a lower voltage than was needed.
cost of capacitors is pennies .. plus soldering skills.

look in our Allante FAQ section .. I beleive that we have a thread there regarding the repairs.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:40 PM
jim

It is the capacitors. A friend of mine replace all the caps on all 4 of my amps a few years back, and I never had a problem since. If my memory is correct, he told me that most likely it was only the 1st cap on the board that gets hit, and it was a 16volt 10mf cap(I believe), and since he had it apart he just replaced them all, and used 24v. caps, as he said the caps should be at least 1&1/2 times the voltage being used as increases do occur.If you do replace the caps be carefull, as there is a pos. and neg. side of the leads and they need to be positioned the same.The caps look like small little cans on the board.The larger voltage ones are just a little larger and will fit in there.You can also send it out to an electric shop once you have the amps out.

Last edited by jim; 08-26-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:45 AM

I replaced caps on an 89 eldo some years ago.

Go to: http://www.caspeed.com/ and see article on c4 bose amps.

Also go to: http://ojas.net/nsx/bose for more detail.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Default Diagram=most helpfull

Thank you,
Best information, ever!

Old 12-13-2016, 01:11 PM
Default Anyone have Allante specific info

The information in this thread is helpful but falls short and does not match what I am seeing on my BOSE circuit board. I have only looked at the Driver Side Rear amp so far. It is circuit board number 130990.

The information link that describes which capacitors to replace, as provided by California Speed, is specific to Corvette and does not totally match my board.

Can anyone point me to more specific capacitor replacement directions for a 1989 Allante?

Thanks.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:48 PM

Each board is little bit different, but it doesn't matter.
If you spot anything looking like parts in the picture - replace w/ the same value but rated50V. Modern electrolytes are v.compact.

Attached Thumbnails SIMPLE FIX to Bose radio amp problems???-s-l5.jpg  
Old 12-15-2016, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by MRDANGERUS
Each board is little bit different, but it doesn't matter.
If you spot anything looking like parts in the picture - replace w/ the same value but rated50V. Modern electrolytes are v.compact.
Thanks for the info. I will identify and replace all the electrolytics.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure I mentioned this before, but I have pulled BOSE units out of ElDorado cars a at salvage yards, and they work well in the Allante, often with minor mounting mods.

Also, the way BOSE is designed, if you get a higher power BOSE "speaker" it will also work in the Allante. Easy way to upgrade.

And of course, be sure to read posts #2, #12
Lastly, BOSE will "REFURBISH" what you got, for a price!
If I remember correctly it was around $75 per unit when I had a set done, 10 yrs back.

Last edited by Stealth; 12-16-2016 at 01:12 PM.