Help:ani-lock disabled dic message; 1989 Cadillac Allante ABS failure

Old 08-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Question Help:ani-lock disabled dic message; 1989 Cadillac Allante ABS failure

I bought 89 Allante 2 days ago, 98,000 miles, in pretty good shape. Door lock/unlock switches sometimes do work, sometimes not. Top pull down motor does not cycle. Radio plays very weak and driver door speaker is quiet.

On the way home ( 150 miles), I noticed strange (single jerk) brake pulsing when applying brakes. DIC display showed alternating "Anti-lock disabled" and "Anti-lock OK". Display message alternated after each use of the brakes at the slow speed. After a while display stopped changing and shows "Anti-lock disabled" permanently. Now, it shows code B481-ABS failure.I tested the ABS pump-it is OK. Is that a relay or bad brake pads? (I did not ispect pads,yet, may be today)

Unfortunately, I do not have any history on this vehicle.
Could you please let me know how to fix it? I have ordered a Shop Repair Manual and a book on Troubleshooting of Bosh III ABS.

In addition, it shows B552-BCM Memory reset indicator. What is the BCM.
Thanx for help on this

I am an automotive engineer and work on cars-so we can talk shop.

mod edit title

Last edited by Stealth; 08-20-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MRDANGERUS
I bought 89 Allante 2 days ago, 98,000 miles, in pretty good shape. Door lock/unlock switches sometimes do work, sometimes not. Top pull down motor does not cycle. Radio plays very weak and driver door speaker is quiet.

On the way home ( 150 miles), I noticed strange (single jerk) brake pulsing when applying brakes. DIC display showed alternating "Anti-lock disabled" and "Anti-lock OK". Display message alternated after each use of the brakes at the slow speed. After a while display stopped changing and shows "Anti-lock disabled" permanently. Now, it shows code B481-ABS failure.I tested the ABS pump-it is OK. Is that a relay or bad brake pads? (I did not ispect pads,yet, may be today)

Could you please let me know how to fix it? I have ordered a Shop Repair Manual and a book on Troubleshooting of Bosh III ABS.

Thanx for help on this

CAUTION:
this car needs to be parked .. not later, but right now.
The car may well be within a couple of brake applications of no brakes whatsoever.
Until you know what and why, please park it.

Last edited by Stealth; 08-20-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Thanx for help on this

one or more of several issues may be happening:
- e-brake has not released completely the ABS light will come on .. check that .. cost $0
- if relay goes, the pump will NOT RUN.
- if ac***ulator fails, the pump will not stop - dont allow this or the pump will burn up ($300 to $500).
- the (brake pulsing when applying brakes) points to the ac***ulator (about $250).
- if pump tests ok, and relays is ok, and ac***ulator is ok, then you are looking at MASTER CYL .. ($1,000)

how did you test the pump ? you checked output pressure to 2500 psi ?
that is what the ac***ulator needs to do its job ...

Old 08-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Default Reading trough the ABS OEM repair manual

Just got it.
Oh, my G!
Written by complete morons.
If I were not an automotive engineer, I'd be totally lost.

Got EO30 code recently, idle control motor circuit.
Well, I should not complain. Got my A for a song.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Tech Certified Members

I's a potato farmer n I's glad we's as n enginer to hep on bord. I's aint sure why your slow ISC turned the ABS worning on, but I is willin to lean ore abot it.Is mite need pixtur sow I undestant it beter. Dem little 2 setter cadies aint cheap dance partneers.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:12 AM
Super Moderator

Thanx for help on this

Just got it.
Oh, my G!
Written by complete morons.
If I were not an automotive engineer, I'd be totally lost.

Got EO30 code recently, idle control motor circuit.
Well, I should not complain. Got my A for a song.

may I ask what car company you are working for?

Old 08-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Default My past

Greetings,
Renault, Chrysler, recent-Obama Motors

Old 08-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Smile Misguided?

Originally Posted by slowroll
I's a potato farmer n I's glad we's as n enginer to hep on bord. I's aint sure why your slow ISC turned the ABS worning on, but I is willin to lean ore abot it.Is mite need pixtur sow I undestant it beter. Dem little 2 setter cadies aint cheap dance partneers.
Greetings,
Dear potatoe farmer, this is Allante forum.
Seems you are confused. It happens when you smoke what you grow (besides potatoes).
You can access John Deere tractor forum/information at http://www.mytractorforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12.

Kia Ora

Old 08-31-2009, 01:46 AM
Tech Certified Members

Greetings,
Renault, Chrysler, recent-Obama Motors

that explains a lot.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:21 PM
Tech Certified Members

Your questions are surprising being you are an automotive engineer, bosch / teves brakes systems were found a variety of cars including Renaults (Re Know), Chryslers, Pre Government Motors, Porsche... Almost all manufactures have a BCM of some sort on cars today. GM and Chrysler have had them on various models for 15 yrs or more. Chrysler decided a Body Control Module should control everything on the vehicle. Government Motors is also into excessive integrated electronics. Intermittent battery reset codes are not uncommon. However, when a concern occurs and only module reset code(s) is set. Power and ground circuits are where to look. Cadillacs are very sensitive in regards to ground circuits. If you don't know ask and we will help. Just don't try belittle or B.S. that your something you are not. You have bought a high maintenance lady and you are likely to be never be bored, she will always want your money and attention.

Last edited by slowroll; 08-31-2009 at 09:23 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help:ani-lock disabled dic message; 1989 Cadillac Allante ABS failure